Getting Ready for Winter
Come to Barrington Farm and see our heirloom vegetable garden and learn how families prepared for the winter.
Nov 08, 2014
from 10:00 AM to 04:00 PM
|Where||Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site|
|Contact Name||Kellie McKenney|
|Contact Phone||(936) 878-2214 x 246|
At Barrington Farm we use methods of farming from Thomas Affleck’s “Southern Rural Almanac” and Anson Jones’ journals. Written in the mid-19th century and way ahead of his time, Affleck suggested rotating crops, using cover crops and companion planting. Come to Barrington Farm and see our heirloom vegetable garden and learn how families prepared for the winter.
- Program FREE with general admission. Reservations not required.
- Farm Admission prices are: Adult $5.00; Student (age 7 through college) $3.00; Children 6 and under – FREE; Texas State Park annual pass holders - FREE.
- Discounted tour tickets for Independence Hall and the Star of the Republic Museum are available.
- Standard hours of operation for the site are from 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
- Please dress appropriately for the season and be prepared for the weather as the event will take place in an 1850’s period setting with some portions outdoors.
- Leashed pets allowed in park, but NOT ALLOWED onto farm site.
- Accessible for the mobility impaired.
- For additional details call (936) 878-2214 ext 246, ask for Kellie.