Four-Hour Guided Kayak Trip
Want to explore our sloughs on kayak but not alone?
Apr 18, 2015
from 08:30 AM to 12:30 PM Every month until Sep 20, 2014
|Where||Martin Dies, Jr. State Park|
|Contact Name||Amy Kocurek|
Want to explore our sloughs on canoe but not alone? Join a ranger for a four-hour, six-mile long guided kayak trip through the park's back country sloughs and the Neches River. While paddling, we will be on the lookout for wildlife such as bald eagles, belted kingfishers, herons, turtles and alligators.
This trip is from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm in the afternoon and costs $30 per kayak; which can fit two adults. For this trip Kayak experience preferred, but participation is available to anyone capable of the moderate exertion of paddling for half a day.
Space is limited so please call our headquarters office in advance to make your reservation. 409-384-5231
Where: Meet at the day use area on the Walnut Ridge Unit part of the park, where the kayaks are.
What to Bring:
- Park permit in your windshield (received from park headquarters or self-pay station)
- Snacks such as granola bars
- Full water bottle
- Close-toed shoes, secure water shoes or old tennis shoes that you don't mind getting wet (not flip flops)
- A hat that won't blow away in high winds
- Dress for the weather
- Bug spray
- Dry bag, zip lock bags, or water proof containers for your gear (Our rangers are not responsible for any damages to your possessions.)
- Something soft such as a cushion or towel to sit on
- Any special medication, for example an epipen.
What to Know:
- Please let us know if you are unable to attend at least two days in advance.
- Please use the bathroom before showing up at the launch site.
- Kayaks, paddles, and life jackets are provided by Martin Dies, Jr. State Park.
- Participants must be able to carry a 60Ib kayak with partner.
- This event is subject to cancellation due to thunderstorms or high winds.
- Visitors are welcome to bring their own canoes/kayaks but will still have to pay the $30 fee for this trip.