Guided Paddling Trip
Sat, March 25, 2017
Want to go out on a canoe or kayak, but not sure where? Join a park guide for a fun paddling adventure.
Do you want to paddle around at our park, but not sure where to go or what to do? Sign up for the guided paddling trip. This trip includes basic paddling instruction, and allows you to discover one of the many great paddling trails that the park offers.
The only cost of this program is your canoe or kayak rental from park headquarters. Sign-up ahead of time to save a spot and get all the information that you'll need.
Where to Sign-up: Call ahead to sign up at our park's headquarters' building at 409-384-5231
Where to Meet: We will be meeting on the Walnut Ridge Slough Day Use where our canoes and kayaks are located.
What to Have/Bring:
- Park permit in your windshield (received from park headquarters or self-pay station)
- Full water bottle or similar beverages to keep you hydrated.
- Close-toed shoes, secure water shoes or old tennis shoes that you don't mind getting wet (flip flops are not recommended)
- A hat that won't blow away in high winds
- Dress for the weather
- Bug spray
- Dry bag, zip lock bags, or water proof containers for your gear (Our rangers are not responsible for any damages to your possessions.)
- Something soft such as a cushion or towel to sit on if you're planning on renting a canoe. Our kayaks come equipped with seats
- Any special medication.
What to Know:
- Please let us know if you are unable to attend at least two days in advance.
- Be prepared to be out on the water for 2hrs
- Please use the bathroom before showing up at the launch site.
- Kayaks, canoes, paddles, and life jackets are provided by Martin Dies, Jr. State Park. Children 12 years old and younger must wear their life jacket, it is the law.
- Participants must be able to carry a 60Ib kayak or canoe to the water.
- This event is subject to cancellation due to thunderstorms or high winds.
- Visitors are welcome to bring their own canoes/kayaks but will still have to sign-up at park headquarters for this trip.