Texas Outdoor Family | Huntsville State Park | Kayaking Basics (Houston Area) | (Full - waitlist forming)
This time of year it should be warm enough to break out the swimsuit! Go for a dip at the swimming beach and continue to enjoy the water as a Park Ranger teaches you how to kayak.
May 31, 2014 09:30 AM
Jun 01, 2014 11:00 AM
|Where||Huntsville State Park|
|Contact Name||Texas Outdoor Family|
|Contact Phone||(512) 389-8903|
- Huntsville State Park
- Individual car camping sites for each family
- Potable water at or near each campsite
- Restrooms with hot showers
- Overnight state park police officer, public safety, and security
- Thanks to TPWD sponsors, the basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Bring your own food, plates, sleeping bags and personal items. Click here for a suggested packing list of personal items from home: TOF PackingList
Agenda & Activities
The Texas Outdoor Family program will teach you about camping and other outdoor activities. You can also explore the park on your own, creating your own adventure along the way. Please note that all “on the water” type activities are subject to weather conditions.
- Credible Campers & Campsites:
Adults: Learn "Leave no Trace" principles, how to pitch your tent and use stoves safely
Junior Rangers: A kid-specific hike, including a conversation about "Leave No Trace"
- Building Base Camp: Families come together, gather equipment, and build base camp for the weekend.
- Caching in on State Park Trails: Trail adventure and exploration through GPS and geocaching
- Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames / grills
- Experience the Sounds of the Night: Celebrating nature’s night sounds with a Ranger led presentation
- Kayaking: Learn the basics of kayaking with a park ranger. Life jackets are required, and will be provided.
- Coffee and chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation
- Know Before You Go -- Breaking Camp and Leaving No Trace of your stay
- State Park Junior Ranger Journal: Available upon request. When completed, these journals earn your junior rangers their very own patch.
- And More: Don’t be surprised if the night skies are right for an impromptu star party or if the park is hosting another great outdoor program!
Conclusion & Departure
Texas Outdoor Family programming typically concludes with the borrowed gear being turned in by 11 am on Sunday. We ask that families participate in our program’s conclusion earlier on Sunday morning where they are given great information and promotional items aimed at helping them plan their next camping trip at a Texas State Park. If your family needs to leave early, talk to your on-site ranger about returning the borrowed equipment.
Your family is invited to stay in the park until the close of business on the day that your program concludes.
- Easy camp meal ideas are provided in the: TOF Pre-Materials
- Instructors will teach you how to enjoy family camp cooking.
- $65 per family (up to 6 individuals) - includes all entry and camping fees.
- You will be asked to bring your family's food for the two-day event and a suggested list of items is provided in the TOF Pre-Materials
How to Register
- Call (512) 389-8903 and ask to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. They can answer any questions you might have.
- You will be e-mailed a confirmation packet with directions and other helpful information.
- Please note that all reservations and full payment must be made by noon on the Thursday before the event. All fees are non-refundable.