Buescher State Park | Texas Outdoor Family | Central TX Area (FULL - Waitlist Forming)
Join us for a fun-filled weekend designed to help your family discover the joys of camping and Texas State Parks. All camping gear and equipment required for an overnight stay at the park are included with each reservation! Click for a list of activities offered and specific information for this workshop.
- Individual campsites for each family
- Potable water at or near each campsite
- Restrooms with hot showers
- Overnight ranger presence for comfort and confidence
- The basic camping equipment needed for the weekend will be provided. Families are expected to provide sheets, blankets, food and personal items.
- Download the TOF Welcome Packet for a detailed list of what is provided and what should be brought from home.
- Typical TOF equipment includes what is pictured below.
Activities Specific to this Workshop
The Texas Outdoor Family program will provide you with an opportunity to enjoy all of the following activities at your upcoming event. You are also encouraged to explore the park on your own, creating your own adventure along the way. All activities are subject to weather conditions.
Credible Campers & Campsites:
Adults: Learn Leave no Trace principles, how to pitch your tent and use stoves safely.
Junior Rangers: A kid specific hike, including a conversation about Leave No Trace.
Building Base Camp: Families come together, gather equipment, and build base camp for the weekend.
Guided Nature Hike: Join the park ranger for a slow walk through nature: getting some exercise, fresh air, and learning about your surroundings along the way.
Careful Kayaking: Learn the basics of kayaking with a park ranger. Life jackets are required to be worn and provided for your use by staff.
Fishing: Enjoy this sport no matter what experience you have. Use Texas Outdoor Family’s equipment and guidance to create a great memory and maybe catch a “lunker.”
Fire Building and Outdoor Cooking Tips: How to safely build fires and cook on open flames or grills. Also, learn how to cook using a Dutch Oven! A Dutch Oven is a durable cast iron cooking pot that uses coals to bake meals while camping.
Experience the Sounds of the Night: Celebrate nature’s night sounds with a ranger-led presentation.
Chat with a Park Ranger: Q&A – Learn more about parks and conservation.
Know Before You Go: Breaking Camp and Leaving No Trace of your stay.
State Park Junior Ranger Journal: Available upon request. When completed, these journals earn your Junior Ranger their very own pin badge.
And More: The night skies might be right for an impromptu star party or the park may be hosting another great outdoor program that you would like to participate in!
Review a sample One Night TOF Agenda. All activities and times are subject to weather, staffing, and attendance and can change at the ranger’s discretion.
Conclusion & Departure
Texas Outdoor Family programming typically concludes with the borrowed gear being turned-in at or before 11am on Sunday. Families are asked to participate in our program’s conclusion on Sunday morning where they are given information and promotional items designed to help them plan their next camping trip. If the family needs to leave early, they must inform their on-site ranger for instructions pertaining to the return of the borrowed equipment.
Families are invited to stay in the park until the close of business (10pm) on the day that the program concludes, but campsites must be vacated by 2pm.
- Families are asked to provide their own meals. Easy camp meal ideas are provided in the TOF Welcome Packet
- Instructors will offer great tips on enjoying family camp cooking.
- $65 per family (up to 6 individuals) - includes all entry and camping fees.
- For the preservation of the camping equipment, pets of all sorts are not allowed on TOF events.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Visit our FAQ page for additional details.
- Still have questions? Email email@example.com for more specific questions.
How to Register
- Call (512) 389-8903 to speak to one of our "Texas Outdoor Family" customer service representatives Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Download the TOF Welcome Packet to assist in your planning.
- Print and complete the last two pages of the welcome packet and bring it to your workshop.
- All reservations must be made by noon on the Thursday prior to the event.
- Payment in full is required at the time a reservation is made.
- All fees are non-refundable. A one-time transfer to a different workshop is allowed two weeks prior to your scheduled event, pending availability.
- Cancellation Policy: In the regrettable instance that an event is cancelled, patrons will be given the opportunity to transfer their reservation to a future event within one calendar year of their cancelled workshop. Due to the state's process for handling funds, refunds cannot be offered.