Master Outdoor Leadership Training | Texas Outdoor Family | Government Canyon State Natural Area | (Application Period Closed)
Master Outdoor Leadership training will give you hands-on experiences and scenarios to build outdoor leadership skills. We will provide specific information that will allow you to use the Texas Outdoor Family program gear, equipment, locations and expertise to make a positive impact in your community and our State Parks.
Are you looking to improve upon or establish new skills in leading and teaching outdoor programs?
The Outdoor Education and Outreach team with Texas State Parks wants to help you become a better and more confident instructor! Attend the Master Outdoor Leadership Training in the Austin / San Antonio area followed by 30 hours of volunteer work in state parks, and become a certified Master Outdoor Leader.
This MOLT certification is great for a professional resume, getting ready to lead your own group of friends on an outdoor adventure, or bolstering your volunteer toolkit.
Topics will include best practices in:
- Safety and Risk Management
- Working effectively with park staff
- Outdoor Cooking
- Setting up Camp
- Fishing instruction
- Campfire building
- Time management
- Interpretive themes and hikes
- Liability and youth protection
- Gear maintenance
- Leave No Trace
- Jr. Ranger Activities
- Learning styles
- Understanding nature deficit disorder
- and much more!
Cost: This training is free but space is very limited.
Dates: MOLT training will be hosted as a partial classroom and partial in-field experience. Attendance on all dates and completion of 30 volunteer hours is mandatory for certification.
- Required First Classroom Portion: Wednesday, Feb. 22, 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm via Go To Meeting Web conference. Link provided in confirmation e-mail.
- Required Two Overnight In-Field Portions: Friday, Feb. 24, 6:30 pm to 3 pm Sunday, Feb. 26, at Government Canyon State Natural Area (campsite and entry fees are included in the training; please provide your own camping gear).
Food: Meals will not be provided. Participants are encouraged to eat before arriving at classroom sessions and provide their own meals during the in-field portion of the training.
Apply: Fill out the application with the following link:
You will be notified of the status of your application by Feb. 10, 2017.
Questions: Email John Souva (firstname.lastname@example.org)