Online + Field Course
The Online + Field Course is ideal for adult hunters who have been shooting and/or hunting for a number of years or an older youth who has an adult hunting/shooting mentor. The online course work may be challenging for youth without adult assistance. We also recommend younger students be accompanied by an adult during the field course.
The certification process consists of two parts:
- Online coursework: Complete the TPWD online course or one of the approved online hunter education courses.
- Attend a
The fee for the Field Course is $15.00. Some instructors may charge additional fees associated with a shooting range or other facility.
with a TPWD certified instructor.
Part 1- Take the Free TPWD Online Course
Online courses offered by Hunter-ed.com Texas, HunterEdCourse.com or HUNTERCourse.com are approved for completion of Part 1 coursework. Note: these vendors charge a fee for their course which is not associated with the $15 course fee paid to the instructor.
After completing the online homework of Part 1, print out the results and present to TPWD certified instructor at the Field Day. Print each chapter's quiz results. For the other options, print the final Voucher or Certificate.
NOTE: No matter which option you choose, you must still attend and successfully complete the Field Day ($15) to receive your final certification. Some instructors may charge additional fees for a shooting range or other facility.
Part 2- Field Course
The Field Course includes: a presentation of ethical and responsible hunting, participation in a hunting skills trail, a live firing exercise, review of regulations and a final exam (score at least 75% to pass). The Field Course is completed in one day and includes 4 hours of instruction and a live fire exercise. You must pre-register for this course with the instructor to reserve a seat and find out class details, such as location and hours.
When you arrive at the Field Course site:
- Show printed results from Part 1 homework to the instructor (Quiz Results, Voucher or Certificate).
- Pay the $15 fee to the instructor. Some instructors may charge additional fees for a shooting range or other facility.
- Demonstrate appropriate knowledge, skills and attitude while completing the Field Day subjects: ethics and responsible hunting, regulations, hunter skills trail and live firing exercise. (Honorably discharged or active military are exempt from live fire exercises only)
- Take the written exam and score at least 75% correct to pass.
- Upon successful completion of Parts 1 and 2 of the Enhanced Hunter Education course, you will receive a temporary Texas Hunter Education student card. You may legally hunt with a valid Texas hunting license and your temporary student certification card. Your permanent Texas Hunter Education certification card will be mailed within a few weeks.
More questions? Check our FAQ page.