Reporting a Boating Accident
When involved in a boating accident, the operator is required by Section 31.104 of the Parks and Wildlife Code to:
- Render to other persons affected such assistance, as may be practicable and necessary in order to save them from or minimize any danger.
- Give his name, address, and identification of his vessel in writing to any person injured and to the owner of any property damaged in the collision, accident, or other casualty.
Also according to Section 31.105 the accident must be reported to the department on or before the expiration of 30 days after the incident. The report should include a full description of the collision, accident, or casualty in accordance with regulations established by the department.
It is the responsibility of each boat operator who is involved in an accident to contact TPWD or your nearest law enforcement agency if the accident:
- Results in death; (within 48 hours) or
- Injuries to a person requiring medical treatment beyond first aid; or
- Causes damage to vessel(s) or property in excess of $2000.00
To report an accident contact your local game warden, local law enforcement agency, or call TPWD 24 hour police communications operator at (512) 389-4848.