Gus Engeling WMA: Hunting (GEWMA)
Phone: (903) 928-2251
16149 North US Hwy 287
Tennessee Colony, TX 75861
The Gus Engeling WMA is now open with limited access. Use caution as road and bridge damage exists from recent flood events.
Open except for drawn hunts in fall and winter. Please call ahead when planning to visit during hunting season.
- Oct. 29 – Nov. 20, 2016
- Nov. 28 – Dec. 1, 2016
- Dec. 14 – 16, 2016
Daily On-site registrationis required of all public users. General public access to the area is during daylight hours through designated legal entry points only and by APH or LPU Permits.
Registration is required.
Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) have rules and regulations for hunting not required on private property. Hunters must possess a valid hunting license, the appropriate tags and stamps, as well as the proper public hunting permit. Permits include: Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH), computer drawn Special Permits, and the Regular Permit, which allows daily small game hunting on some areas. Hunters 16 years of age and younger are not required to have a hunting permit, but must have a hunting license and be supervised by a licensed, permitted adult, 18 years of age or older. Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit (except turkeys, waterfowl, and dove). For more details see the rules page for this WMA, the Summary of Fishing and Hunting Regulations and Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
Public hunting is permitted for feral hog, squirrel, rabbit, hare, and waterfowl. Hunters interested in waterfowl and small game need only possess an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit and valid hunting license to gain access on designated days during the appropriate season. Deer hunters, both archery and gun, are randomly selected during the Special Permit drawing to avoid over harvesting of the resource. For more hunting information, visit the TPWD Public Hunting in Texas page.
Annual Public Hunting Permit Hunts
For current APH information see: Gus Engeling (#754) WMA Map and Hunting Regulations(PDF 159.4 KB)
Note: There are NO White-tailed Deer Hunts and NO feral hog season available by Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit on this area.
- Feral Hog: APH Permit required; No bag limit; Any legal means. Use of dogs to hunt feral hogs prohibited. No baiting allowed.
- Squirrels, Rabbits & Hares, and Feral Hogs: APH Permit required; Shotguns restricted to shot no larger than #4 lead shot; Use of dogs to hunt feral hogs prohibited (shotgun and rimfire only). See Public Hunting Map Booklet (link).
- Waterfowl: Shooting hours end at noon. Hunting is allowed on TUESDAY and SATURDAY during the North Duck Zone season.
- Fishing: Open year round except dates the ENTIRE AREA IS CLOSED.
- SPECIAL REGULATIONS: Entry through designated entry/exit locations ONLY. All users must perform on-site registration DAILY. Use of horses prohibited other than by written permission of the area manager in advance (903) 928-2251. See Prohibited Acts for further restrictions.
- Youth Hunts: Youth/Adult Squirrel: See the Youth Hunting Information & Regulations section.
Special Permit Hunts (Drawn Hunts)
Those hunting under a special drawn permit do not need to purchase an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit.
Check the online Drawn Hunts system for the latest information on drawn hunts at the Gus Engeling WMA.
Rules And Regulations:
- All public users are required to wear a minimum 400 square inches of fluorescent orange material (including headwear) when hunting is permitted, EXCEPT those persons involved in waterfowl hunts.
- Access to the Area is permissible only through authorized entry/exit locations.
- Use of horses prohibited other than by written permission of the Area Manager in advance.
- Use of ATVs is prohibited.
- No trapping allowed.
- Use of dogs to hunt feral hogs prohibited.
- Call (903) 928-2251 for additional information.