Gus Engeling WMA: Wildlife Viewing (GEWMA)
Phone: (903) 928-2251
16149 North US Hwy 287
Tennessee Colony, TX 75861
The Gus Engeling WMA is now open with limited access. Use caution as road and bridge damage exists from recent flood events.
Open except for drawn hunts in fall and winter. Please call ahead when planning to visit during hunting season.
- Oct. 29 – Nov. 20, 2016
- Nov. 28 – Dec. 1, 2016
- Dec. 14 – 16, 2016
Daily On-site registrationis required of all public users. General public access to the area is during daylight hours through designated legal entry points only and by APH or LPU Permits.
Registration is required.
Viewing wildlife is an enjoyable activity that is available in many of the Wildlife Management Areas of Texas.
The Gus Engeling WMA has a rich variety of wildlife. Currently 38 mammals, 172 birds, 68 reptiles and amphibians, 58 fishes, and over 1100 plant species have been documented. There's no guarantee, but the observant visitor may see white-tailed deer, gray squirrels, fox squirrels, raccoons, beavers, wood ducks or pileated woodpeckers just to name a few.
- Amphibians and Reptiles of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 160 KB)
- Birds of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 295.8 KB)
- Fishes of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 191.7 KB)
- Mammals of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 253 KB)
- Vegetation of Gus Engeling Wildlife Management Area (PDF 334.1 KB)