Mad Island: Hunting
Phone: (979) 323-9579
2200 7th Street, 3rd Floor
Bay City, TX 77414
Dates Open: Open for teal and duck hunters during hunting season. A reservation is needed for wildife tours. Contact the Area Manager for specific dates.
Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) have rules and regulations for hunting not required on private property. Hunters must possess a valid hunting license, the appropriate tags and stamps, as well as the proper public hunting permit. Permits include: Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH), computer drawn Special Permits, and the Regular Permit, which allows daily small game hunting on some areas. Hunters 16 years of age and younger are not required to have a hunting permit, but must have a hunting license and be supervised by a licensed, permitted adult, 18 years of age or older. Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit (except turkeys, waterfowl, and dove). For more details see the rules page for this WMA, the Summary of Fishing and Hunting Regulations and Public Hunting Lands Information and Maps.
Annual Public Hunting Permit Hunts
For current APH information see: Mad Island (#729)-Mad Island WMA Map and Hunting Regulations(PDF 178.3 KB)
Special Permit Hunts (Drawn Hunts)
*Those hunting under a special drawn permit do not need to purchase an Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit.
Check the Online Drawn Hunt System for special drawn hunts.
- Public hunting is permitted for alligator, waterfowl, rail, gallinule, and snipe.
- Special Alligator Hunts for adult and youth are scheduled yearly.
- Regular Hunting permits are issued at the check station beginning two hours before sunrise until 30 minutes before legal shooting time on the morning of the hunts.
- Hunters could walk up to one mile in wetland habitat to reach their hunting site.
- Small boats, suitable for hand launch and operated by electric motors, can be used in some compartments during the waterfowl hunts.
- No trailers or outboard motors allowed.
The following equipment is considered a necessity for hunters: hip boots or waders, flashlight, rain gear, and insect repellent. Use of retriever dogs and decoys is recommended. Use of dogs prior to November is discouraged because of increased alligator activity. No permanent blinds may be constructed. Call for further hunting information about the area (979) 244-6804 or (979) 244-6805.