Do You Hear What I Hear?
Make a Sound Map!
What You Need:
- Clipboard, tablet or something to write on
- Something to write with like a pencil or pen
- Find a comfortable spot to sit outdoors.
- Mark an "X" in the center of the paper. This shows YOU on the map.
- Close your eyes and listen for at least one minute. Listen for sounds from
animals, birds, people and other activities.
- Keep listenning, but now draw pictures or symbols on the map representing
all the sounds you hear, and where they are coming from.
- At the top of your page, write down the date, time and where you were (school
yard, park, etc.)
What Did You Discover?
Did you hear something from each direction around you? Could you hear at least 10 different sounds? Could you identify all the sounds you heard? If you did this with a friend, compare your maps!
Stuff to Think About:
- What would happen if you sat somewhere else?
- What would be different at another time of day? Another season?