Make a Texas Horned Lizard
"Spike" the Horned Lizard
The Texas horned lizard is a reptile that likes to bask in the sun during
morning hours but seeks the shade in the hot hours of the afternoon. It is
a fierce looking creature that is covered with horns or spikes, including
two long spikes on its head. It is brownish in color. An interesting defense this
reptile has is to puff out its body, hiss, and squirt blood from its eyes
to scare away predators!
- Brown construction paper
- Copies of horned lizard outline on paper or colored construction paper
- "Wiggly" craft eyes, optional
- Black pipe cleaners, optional
- Have students tear one 8 1/2" by 11" sheet of brown construction
paper into one inch "ragged" pieces.
- Glue torn pieces in a mosaic fashion inside the outline of the horned
lizard, choosing two "sharp, pointy" pieces for the two prominent
spikes on the head of the lizard.
- Draw eyes and/or sunglasses like the TPWD mascot “Spike” (Optional: Use
"wiggly" craft eyes and/or fashion sunglasses out of black pipe