Public Hunting Areas

Short Term Hunting Lease Program

A short-term hunting land lease is a contract beween TPW and a private landowner. The landowner agrees to let annual public hunting permit (APH) holders to hunt certain game species on their property for a specified period of time. TPW agrees to pay a set fee for this access and also agrees to post signs on the property indicating boundaries, designated roads and parking areas, restricted areas, and other concerns identified in the lease agreement. NOT all license holders are allowed to hunt on these peroperties, only those that have purchased the APH permit. Youth under the age of 17 are not required to possess the APH permit to hunt on these properties but they must hunt under the direct supervision of an adult (18 years of age or older) that has a valid APH permit.

Originally, these short-term hunting leases were signed strictly for dove hunting and were limited to the first split of the season. TPW is now leasing areas for additional legal species (rabbit, quail, squirrel, pheasant, sandhill cranes, and waterfowl). Legal game on an individual lease is negotiated on a lease-by-lease basis.

Short-term Hunting Lease properties come into and go out of the season each year. APH permit purchasers are provided a map booklet that has lease maps and listings of legal game species on each property. Interested hunters should check the Annual Public Hunting page in early August each year to see which counties have short-term leases for the following hunting season.

Are you a landowner with a place that you would be interested in leasing to TPW as a Short-Term Hunting lease? TPW does not sign up every property offered for lease. When evaluating potential leases TPW staff look first at the habitat (food, water, cover) available and second at the distance from a population center. Management of crop and fallow fields is also important. You can contact you local Wildlife Distict Biologist or Technician if you would like the information on specific habitat needs, managing your crop fields for wildlife, or participating in the Short-Term Hunting Lease Program.

Back to Top
Back to Top