Note: This item is more than 10 years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
TPWD Implements Marine Dealer, Boat Titling Changes
Extra! Read All Aboat It!
AUSTIN, Texas — Reminder!!!! The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission adopted rules which comply with House Bill 2926, passed during the last legislative session. Some of the new rules address the following issues:
- License regulations for Marine Dealers, Distributors, and Manufacturers.
- Registration decal placement for specific circumstances.
- Defining acceptable situations for the issuance of bonded tiles for vessels or outboard motors.
"This legislation provided administrative cleanup and expansion to laws that protect the consumer and provide for the collection of existing fees outlined by law," said Frances Stiles, manager of boat titling and registration at TPWD.
There are a variety of new rules. Following is a breakdown of the new rules by the dates they became effective.
Jan. 1, 2004:
- People must register U.S. Coast Guard-documented vessels and must display a registration decal.
- For antique boats, the registration decal may be placed on the windshield. If the boat does not have a windshield, the decal may be attached to the wallet-sized certificate of number and carried on board.
- There is a new "Bonded Title" fee of $35. This security bond allows another avenue for the consumer to follow-through on ownership when there is lack of documentation, like a non-signed title transfer.
March 1, 2004:
- There is a mandatory licensing process for all marine dealers and an increase in the license fee from $130 to $500. Game Wardens are allowed to inspect records held by anyone selling boats and motors.
"We didn’t have lot of control over these dealers — it was a voluntary system but they didn’t have to buy a license if they didn’t want to," said Alfonso Campos, Chief of Marine Enforcement at TPWD. "If businesses or individuals sell five or more boats or motors in a calendar year, they need to have a license."
For more information, call Frances Stiles (512) 389-4860 or Campos at (512) 389-4624.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Plain Text Pages.