Note: This item is more than nine years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Flat Out Fishing Back for Fifth Year with Expert Tips for Anglers of All Levels
AUSTIN, Texas — For the fifth year, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will host two Flat Out Fishing seminars to help anglers start the new year with an edge. The first event, in Corpus Christi, kicks-off at 8 a.m., Sat., Feb. 2, at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. The event will be held at Bay Hall, Room 103, at TAMU-CC’s Ward Island campus. The second event will be in Lake Jackson at the Lake Jackson Civic Center Feb. 9.
These day-long events include seminars and presentations from noted guides and experts covering a variety of bay, surf, kayak and fly fishing techniques
"Flat Out Fishing is full day of professional fishing seminars for beginning to experienced fishermen to learn how to become better anglers in a relaxed and friendly setting that offers plenty of opportunities for interaction with the presenters. The speakers are some of the most knowledgeable authorities in their field in Texas." said TPWD Coastal Fisheries Outreach Specialist Art Morris.
Flat Out Fishing — Corpus Christi, Feb. 2, features the following speakers and presentations:
- Tony Amos, Research Associate, University of Texas Marine Science Institute will help anglers understand tides and currents on the Texas coast.
- Capt. Sally Moffett of Capt. Sally’s Reel Fun Charters will offer a presentation on "Reading the Water and Finding Fish Under Any Conditions."
- Jeff Herman, an ACA-certified paddling instructor, member of Team Ocean Kayak and kayaking editor for Harold Well’s Gulf Coast Fisherman magazine will introduce attendees to the finer points of kayak fishing.
- Capt. "Lefty" Ray Chapa, an FFF-certified fly casting instructor and former kayak fishing guide, is an award-winning outdoor photographer and will present "Fishing and Photography."
- Mark Fisher, Ph.D., TPWD Coastal Fisheries Division science director and lifelong fly tier and angler, will present "Common Prey Items Along the Texas Coast: A Fly Fishing Perspective."
- Nick Meyer is a long-distance casting champion and the sole distributor for Breakaway Tackle in the USA. His BreakAwayUSA.com message board is a mandatory stop for Padre Island National Seashore surf anglers, and he’ll present "Surf Fishing Padre Island."
- It’s the time of year when many anglers go hunting for that once-in-a-lifetime spotted seatrout, and Capt. Robert Zapata of High Tide Fishing Adventures will offer a presentation on "Trophy Trout Fishing."
Speakers at the Lake Jackson event, Feb. 9, include Larry Bozka of Bozka Outdoor Media and CoastalAnglers.com, Capt. Charles Foster of Blue Chip Charters and Guide Service, Bill Balboa, TPWD’s Galveston Bay Ecosystem Leader, Capt. "Lefty" Ray Chapa, Jeff Herman and others.
Participants will be eligible for door prizes and "goody bags."
The cost is $20 per person or $30 per couple, payable by cash, check or money order at the door. Registration fees are tax-deductible. Children under 17 may attend free with an adult. Seating is limited so register early to ensure your participation.
To register for either event, contact Art Morris at 361-825-3356 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
For a map to Bay Hall at TAMU-CC, go to: http://www.tamucc.edu/campmap.html. The Lake Jackson Civic Center is located at 333 Hwy 332 East, Lake Jackson, Texas.
Flat Out Fishing is underwritten by Anheuser-Busch and sponsored by CCA Texas, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, Shimano and others.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Plain Text Pages.