Note: This item is more than nine years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Flat Out Fishing — Lake Jackson Highlights Gulf Angling Opportunities
AUSTIN, Texas — For the fifth year, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will host a Flat Out Fishing seminar in Lake Jackson to help anglers start the new year with an edge. The event will be held at the Lake Jackson Civic Center Feb. 9 from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
The day-long events include seminars and presentations from noted guides and experts covering a variety of offshore, nearshore, kayak and fly fishing techniques
"Flat Out Fishing is full day of professional fishing seminars for beginning to experienced fishermen to learn how to become better anglers in a relaxed and friendly setting that offers plenty of opportunities for interaction with the presenters. The speakers are some of the most knowledgeable authorities in their field in Texas." said TPWD Coastal Fisheries Outreach Specialist Art Morris.
Flat Out Fishing — Lake Jackson features the following speakers and presentations:
- Capt. Frank Kubin of Underwater Adventures (formerly Capt. Elliott’s Party Boats) will draw on 17 years of overnight and long-range offshore fishing trips to help attendees understand how to get the most out of long-range tuna trips, especially those targeting Yellowfin tuna.
- Bill Balboa, TPWD’s Galveston Bay ecosystem leader, will discuss the importance of sargassum to offshore and nearshore fisheries.
- Capt. Charles Foster of Blue Chip Charters, will discuss the ins and outs of finding offshore structure.
- Capt. "Lefty" Ray Chapa, an FFF-certified fly casting instructor and former kayak fishing guide, will talk about saltwater fly fishing.
- Jeff Herman, an ACA-certified paddling instructor, member of Team Ocean Kayak and kayaking editor for Harold Well’s Gulf Coast Fisherman magazine will introduce attendees to the finer points of kayak fishing.
- Award-winning outdoor writer Larry Bozka will wrap-up the seminar with a presentation on jetty fishing.
Participants will be eligible for door prizes and "goody bags."
The cost is $20 per person or $30 per couple, payable by cash, check or money order at the door. Registration fees are tax-deductible. Proceeds benefit the Texas Abandoned Crab Trap Removal Program. Children under 17 may attend free with an adult. Seating is limited so register early to ensure your participation.
To register for the event, contact Art Morris at 361-825-3356 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
The Lake Jackson Civic Center is located at 333 Hwy 332 East, Lake Jackson, Texas.
Flat Out Fishing is underwritten by Anheuser-Busch and sponsored by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Foundation, CCA Texas, the Coastal Bend Bays & Estuaries Program, Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, Shimano, Daiichi and others.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Plain Text Pages.