Note: This item is more than eight years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
TPWD Schedules Seven Sites for Additional Trout Stocking
AUSTIN, Texas — Trout anglers get an extra bonus this year as the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will stock additional hatchery-reared rainbow trout at seven sites from Feb. 22 to March 7.
TPWD has stocked upwards of 275,000 trout at 115 sites this season. TPWD has been stocking rainbow trout each winter since the 1970s, providing Texans a simple and economical opportunity to go fishing.
Catching these hungry fish can be easy, making the experience ideal for both novice anglers and kids. The fish will bite almost immediately after stocking and typically will take a variety of baits, from whole kernel canned corn or commercial soft bait to artificial flies and even small spinner baits.
A valid Texas freshwater fishing package is required to fish for trout. Youth ages 16 and younger and all anglers fishing from the bank in state parks are exempt from the fishing package requirement.
Schedule of supplemental rainbow trout stockings:
New Braunfels (San Antonio area)
- Feb. 22, Canyon Tailrace — 2,215 fish
- March 4, Canyon Tailrace — 2,215 fish (plus extra if available)
Graford (Abilene area)
- Feb. 22, Possum Kingdom Tailrace — 2,000 fish
- Feb. 27, Possum Kingdom Tailrace — 2,000 fish
Lewisville (Dallas/ Fort Worth area)
- Feb. 29, Lake Lewisville Tailrace — 2,000 fish
- March 7, Lake Lewisville Tailrace — 2,000 fish (plus extra if available)
Llano (Austin area)
- Feb. 27, Llano River, Grenwelge Park — 1,200 fish
Blanco (Austin area)
- Feb. 27, Blanco State Park — 1,000
- Feb. 29, Tyler State Park — 1,000 fish
- March 2, Plum Lake — 1,000 fish (in addition to 1,100 already scheduled)
On the Net:
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to email@example.com and mention Plain Text Pages.