Note: This item is more than two years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Hunting Education Offers Lifetime Benefits for Students and Instructors
With hunting season just around the corner, students of all ages around the state are encouraged to sign up for hunting education classes to familiarize themselves with the skills, regulations and responsibilities that every licensed hunter should know.p>Currently the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has 394 structured two-day courses and 308 online home study field days currently scheduled for hunting education. The flexibility of being able to take an online course can be beneficial for any student that has other activities, or classes going on at the same time.
The classes can really pay off long term, since the hunting education certification lasts for a lifetime, and is recognized by all states and providences that require hunter education.
Join the youth and adults that have participated in the hunter education courses, and benefit from the knowledge and experience that is gained through these courses.
Right now, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is about to enroll its one millionth student, and in honor of this milestone a Henry Golden Boy .22 caliber rifle will be awarded to that lucky student, as well as his instructor.
Anyone completing a hunter education student course can also apply to become a certified hunter education instructor.
To become an instructor, an applicant must:
- Complete the hunter education student course (if not already completed)
- Request an instructor application
- Take the application to a TPWD game warden, who will host an interview and submit all necessary paperwork to TPWD (If you would like to know of any game wardens in your area, you may search for a TPWD law enforcement office at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/office_locations/)
- Review and complete an instructor manual (Available online at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0049a.pdf)
- Complete the hunter education new instructor course.
There are several upcoming instructor courses scheduled around Texas:
- Aug. 4, San Antonio
- Aug. 8, Grand Prairie
- Aug, 17, College Station
- Aug. 18, Porter
- Aug. 26, Southwest Houston
- Oct. 27, Houston
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.