TPWD Print-Friendly Page: http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/print.phtml?req=20041108e
Tom Harvey, 512-389-4453, email@example.com [MM]
TPWD Website: http://tpwd.texas.gov
TPWD News Release — Nov. 8, 2004
TPW Commission Approves Five Trail GrantsAUSTIN, Texas — The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved funding Nov. 3 for five National Recreational Trail Grant projects totaling $402,750.
This new round of grants stems from additional federal funding that has become available since an initial $2 million in trail-building funds was awarded by TPWD in August.
Recreational Trail grants are approved based on the recommendations of the Texas Trails Advisory Board. They are funded by a portion of the federal gas tax generated by gasoline purchases to utilize off-road recreational vehicles, such as off-road motorcycles and four-wheelers.
The purpose of the National Recreational Trails Fund is to provide funding for projects that create new and maintain existing motorized and non-motorized recreational trails.
The recipients are listed below:
- Anna Trails in Collin County received $100,000 for a new 1.94-mile trail, land acquisition, bridge and signs. Funds were requested by the City of Anna.
- Patterson Park Trail in Travis County received $99,250 for a new 6,000-foot granite trail in a neighborhood park. Funds were requested by the City of Austin
- Canton Recreational Trails in Van Zandt County received $63,500 for a new 1.5-mile trail and its design, and signs. Funds were requested by the City of Canton
- Pflugerville Reservoir Trail in Travis County received $100,000 for a new 15,950-foot trail, benches and parking. Funds were requested by City of Pflugerville.
- The da Vinci Bridge and Trail in Ector County received $40,000 for a new 1,000-foot trail and bridge over the drainage canal. Funds were requested by The University of Texas, Permian Basin.
For more information on TPWD grant programs see the department Web site (http://tpwd.texas.gov/grants/).