TPWD Print-Friendly Page: http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/print.phtml?req=20050531f
TPWD News, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-389-8030 [TH]
TPWD Website: http://tpwd.texas.gov
TPWD News Release — May 31, 2005
Master Naturalist Fall Training Classes Offered
AUSTIN, Texas — Fourteen chapters of the Texas Master Naturalist program will be conducting fall training classes for volunteers who want to help conserve natural resources.
The Texas Master Naturalist program, which has 33 chapters statewide, develops a local corps of well-informed citizen volunteers who educate their communities about the management of natural resources.
The main qualification needed to become a Certified Texas Master Naturalist is an interest in learning and playing an active part in conservation. Volunteers will receive a minimum 40 hours of training from educators and natural resource specialists from universities, state and federal agencies, nature centers and museums. Training topics include interpretation and management of natural resources, ecological concepts, eco-regions of Texas and natural systems management. Volunteers are expected to give 40 hours of service a year in community education, demonstration and habitat enhancement projects. They are also expected to pursue a minimum of eight hours of advanced training in areas of personal interest.
Texas Master Naturalist Chapters offering volunteer training this fall are listed below. Enrollment is limited in most chapters. Some registration deadlines have passed, but contact the chapter to see if seating is still available.
- Angleton—Cradle of Texas Chapter. Training begins Sept. 7. Registration deadline is Aug. 19. For more information phone (979) 849-1564, ext. 112 or e-mail email@example.com
- Athens—Post Oak Chapter. Training starts on Oct. 1. The registration deadline is Sept. 17. For information, call (903) 887-5061.
- Bryan/College Station—Brazos Valley Chapter. Training begins Sept. 15. Registration deadline is June 1. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Burnet—Highland Lakes Chapter. Classes begin September 8. For information phone 512-756-5463 or email: email@example.com **
- Corpus Christi—South Texas Chapter. Classes begin September 13. For more information phone 361-767-5217 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. ***
- Denton—Elm Fork Chapter. Class Roundup is Aug. 18 and the registration deadline is Aug. 25. Training begins Sept. 6. For more information, phone (940) 349-2883 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Fort Davis—Tierra Grande Chapter. The first class for this new chapter is being planned for late August. Information is available by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fort Worth—Cross Timbers Chapter. Orientation begins on Aug. 30. For more information, phone (817) 355-4832 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Houston—Gulf Coast Chapter. Classes begin Aug. 27. Deadline for registration is Aug. 8. Phone (281) 855-5600 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jasper—New Master Naturalist Chapter. Training begins August 13. For more information Phone (409) 384-5231 or e-mail Katherine.Crippens@tpwd.texas.gov. *
- Kerrville—Hill Country Chapter. Classes begin Aug. 31. Registration deadline is July 15. For information phone (830) 257-2094 or e-mail email@example.com.
- New Braunfels—Lindheimer Chapter. Classes begin Nov. 1. Registration deadline is Oct. 14 and orientation will be held Oct. 18. For information phone (830) 620-3440 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rosenberg—Coastal Prairie Chapter. Classes begin Sept. 8. Registration deadline is July 28. For information contact email@example.com.
- San Antonio—Alamo Area Chapter. Classes start Sept. 15. For information phone (210) 698-2397 or e-mail www.alamomasternaturalist.org.
- Waco—Heart of Texas Chapter. Classes start Sept. 14. For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and Texas Cooperative Extension co-sponsor the Texas Master Naturalist Program statewide. For more information about existing chapters or forming a new chapter, contact Sonny Arnold, Assistant Program Coordinator, 111 Nagle Hall, 2258, TAMU, College Station, TX 77843-2258, or e-mail email@example.com or phone (979) 458-1099.
* Correction, May 31, 2005: This items was added to the list after the first publication of this release on the TPWD Web site. (Return to corrected item.)
** Correction, June 1, 2005: The original content of this item has been corrected. (Return to corrected item.)
*** Correction, June 1, 2005: This items was added to the list after the first publication of this release on the TPWD Web site. (Return to corrected item.)