TPWD Print-Friendly Page: http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/print.phtml?req=20071203d
TPWD News, firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-389-8030 [TH]
TPWD Website: http://tpwd.texas.gov
TPWD News Release — Dec. 3, 2007
Master Naturalist Program Seeks Applicants
AUSTIN, Texas — Twenty-two chapters of the Texas Master Naturalist program are conducting spring training classes for volunteers wanting to learn about natural resource and conservation management.
The Texas Master Naturalist program, with 41 chapters located across the state, aims to develop a corps of well-informed citizen volunteers who educate their communities about the management of natural resources.
The main qualification needed to become a Certified Texas Master Naturalist is an interest in learning and playing an active part in conservation. Volunteers will receive a minimum of 40 hours training from educators and specialists from places such as universities, natural resource agencies, nature centers and museums.
Training topics include interpretation and management of natural resources, ecological concepts, eco-regions in Texas and natural systems management. Volunteers are expected to give 40 hours of service a year in community education, demonstration and habitat enhancement projects. They are also expected to pursue a minimum of eight hours of advance training in areas of personal interest.
Texas Master Naturalist Chapters offering volunteer training this spring are listed with contact information. Enrollment is limited in most chapters. Some registration deadlines are fast approaching so contact a chapter near you to see if seating is still available.
- Abilene — Big Country Chapter. Training begins April 7, 2008 and registration closes April 2. Contact 325-672-6048 or email: email@example.com
- Austin — Capital Area Chapter. The 2008 class registration has closed. Contact the chapter to be included on the wait list for the next class. For chapter information visit: http://camn.org
- Brenham — Gideon Lincecum Chapter. Classes begin Feb. 2. Registration deadline is January 25. For details call 936-878-1988 or email http://gideonlincecum.org
- Burnett — Highland Lakes Chapter. Training starts March 6 and registration accepted until then unless the course limit is reached. For information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cameron — El Camino Real Chapter. The initial class of this new chapter begins on Jan. 15 with an early December registration deadline. Enrollment information available at 254-605-0669 or email email@example.com
- Conroe/Huntsville — Heartwood Chapter. Classes begin March 1 and the registration deadline is February 15, 2008. For information call 832-381-6921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dallas — North Texas Chapter. The chapter will host an Open House on Jan. 8, 2008 and the registration deadline is Jan. 12. Classes begin Feb. 12. Call 972-248-7980 or email: email@example.com for more information.
- El Paso — Trans Pecos Chapter. Register no later than Jan. 17, 2008 to begin the class on Feb. 13. Class is limited to 25. For specific information call 915-851-2515.
- Galveston — Galveston Bay Area Chapter. Training begins Feb. 14 and registration ends Feb. 8. Class is limited to 20 students. For details phone 281-534-3413, ext.2 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Houston — Gulf Coast Chapter. Classes begin Feb. 25 and the registration deadline is February 9. Phone 281-855-5600 or email: email@example.com
- Jefferson — Cypress Basin Chapter. This new chapter starts classes on Feb. 7 and needs applications no later than Feb. 1. Details available by calling 903-679-9817 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lubbock — South Plains Chapter. The first class is set for Jan. 17 with a registration deadline set for Jan. 11. More information available by calling 806-785-5079 or email email@example.com
- Midland — Llano Estacado Chapter. Classes begin Jan. 19 and your registration is needed by Jan. 5. Details available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Navasota — Cinco Tierra Chapter. Training starts Jan. 12 and the registration deadline is Jan. 1. More information is available by calling 936-825-9242 or email email@example.com
- Plano — Blackland Prairie Chapter. The first class is set for Feb. 13 and applications due by Feb. 1. Call 972-248-6283 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Rockport — Mid Coast Chapter. Training begins Feb. 9. For dates and information call 979-245-4100 or visit: http://midcoast.tamu.edu
- San Antonio — Alamo Area Chapter. Classes start Feb. 28 with applications accepted until Feb. 1. For information phone 210-842-7967 or email: email@example.com
- San Benito — Rio Grande Valley Chapter. Training begins Feb. 6 with a registration deadline of Jan. 25. Call 956-361-8236, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the chapter website: www.rgvctmn.org
- San Marcos — Hays County Chapter. Classes begin in February. For details email email@example.com
- Tyler — East Texas Chapter. Classes begin Jan. 19 and registration ends January 11. Contact 903-849-2939 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waco — Heart of Texas Chapter. Training begins Jan. 19 with the registration deadline being Jan. 4. For details contact at 254-848-9654 or email@example.com
- Wichita Falls — Rolling Plains Chapter. Training begins March 25 with the registration deadline on March 14. For details contact Mark Howell at 940-766-2383 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and Texas Cooperative Extension co-sponsor the Texas Master Naturalist Program. For more information about existing chapters or forming a new chapter contact Sonny Arnold, Assistant Program Coordinator, 111 Nagle Hall, 2258, TAMU, College Station, TX 77843-2258. Call (979)458-1099 or email: email@example.com.