TPWD Print-Friendly Page: http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/print.phtml?req=20110622c
TPWD News, email@example.com, 512-389-8030 [TH]
TPWD Website: http://tpwd.texas.gov
TPWD News Release — June 22, 2011
Master Naturalist Program Offers Fall Classes for Volunteers
AUSTIN – Thirteen chapters of the Texas Master Naturalist program will hold fall courses to train natural resource conservation volunteers across the state.
The program’s 42 chapters aim to develop a corps of well-informed citizen volunteers who educate communities in the management of natural resources. Interested applicants to the program need only an interest in learning and playing and active part in conservation. Volunteers receive around 40 hours of training from educators and specialist from universities, agencies, nature centers and museums. Training topics include interpretation and management of natural resources, ecological concepts, eco-regions of Texas and natural systems management.
Volunteers are expected to give 40 hours of service a year as a Master Naturalist in community education, demonstration and habitat enhancement projects. Master Naturalists also pursue a minimum of eight hours a year in advanced training in areas of their choice.
The next training session through the program begins this fall. Chapters offering fall courses are listed below. Some chapter registration deadlines may have passed. Applicants are advised to contact their chapter of interest for availability.
- Abilene — Big Country Chapter. Class begins on August 18 and registration is due by August 1. For more details call 325-672-6048 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- College Station — Brazos Valley Chapter. Plan to start class with this chapter on September 6. Your registration is needed no later than August 30. Contact 979-324-6654 or email@example.com
- Corpus Christi — South Texas Chapter. Registration is due at the first class on September 10. Details are available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or call 361-813-3819.
- Denton — Elm Fork Chapter. Training begins on September 6 and registration is needed by August 19. For details contact: 940-349-2883 or email@example.com
- Fort Worth — Cross Timbers Chapter. Meet at the Fort Worth Nature Center for the first class on August 30. More information is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or call 817-838-7321.
- Houston — Gulf Coast Chapter. Your registration is needed by August 15 to join the class that starts on August 27. Call 713-721-7773 or email email@example.com
- Kerrville — Hill Country Chapter. Class begins on August 24 and the registration deadline is July 15. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 830-792-3070.
- Midland — Llano Estacado Chapter. Training information is available by contacting Sammy.email@example.com
- New Braunfels — Lindheimer Chapter. Training begins on November 1 and your registration is due by October 1. More information is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or call 830-226-7035.
- Rosenberg—Coastal Prairie Chapter. Class will assemble on September 10 and your registration is due by September 1. More information about the chapter can be found by calling 281-239-2424 or email: email@example.com
- San Antonio — Alamo Area Chapter. The starting date for the next class of the original Texas Master Naturalist chapter is September 8 and your registration is needed by August 24. Details are available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- San Benito — Rio Grande Valley Chapter. Registration is due by January 4, 2012 for the class that will begin on January 11. For details contact email@example.com
- Waxahachie — Indian Trail Chapter. August 15 is the registration deadline for the class that begins on September 8. More details are available at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 972-291-2868.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and Texas AgriLife Extension co-sponsor the Texas Master Naturalist Program statewide. For more information about existing chapters or forming a new chapter contact Sonny Arnold, Assistant Program Coordinator, 111Nagle Hall, 2258, TAMU, College Station, TX 77843-2258, call (979)458-1099 or email: email@example.com.
On the Net:
- Texas Master Naturalist Program: http://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/programs/txmasnat/