MEANS AND METHODS
Fur-bearing animals may be legally taken with firearms; foothold, conibear style, live or box traps; dogs; snares; lawful archery equipment; electronic or hand-held calls; artificial light; or by falconry except as prohibited below.
It is illegal to:
- Shoot at, take or attempt to take any fur-bearing animal from a boat on public waters in Texas.
- Take fur-bearing animals by means of falconry without a valid falconry permit issued by the department.
- Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or conibear-style trap except during the season for commercial harvest.
- Take fur-bearing animals with a foothold or conibear-style trap within 400 yards of any school.
- Use smoke, explosives or chemical irritants of any kind to harry or flush fur-bearing animals.
- Take fur-bearing animals with conibear-style traps with a diagonal opening greater than 10 inches set on land or in less than 6-inch deep water.
- Take fur-bearing animals with snare, foothold, conibear-style trap, and live or box trap unless such devices are examined at least once every 36 hours and animals are removed on discovery.
For other information concerning hunting and fishing regulations, parks, wildlife or other subjects related to TPWD, call our toll-free number: (800) 792-1112 during regular business hours.
At any time of the day, a person may call toll-free (800) 792-GAME(4263) to report a violation of the state's game and fish laws. A reward may be offered to eligible callers who provide information which leads to a conviction.