SALE OR PURCHASE OF FUR-BEARING ANIMALS OR PELTS
- Fur-bearing animals and their pelts can only be sold by:
- licensed trappers;
- wholesale fur dealers;
- fur-bearing animal propagators.
- Fur-bearing animals and their pelts can only be purchased for resale by wholesale fur dealers.
- Fur-bearing animals and their pelts may be purchased by consumers only for personal use (no resale).
- Trappers may sell non-living fur-bearing animals or their pelts taken during commercial harvest at any time during the year.
- Live fur-bearing animals may be sold only by a licensed fur-bearing animal propagator, and only sold to persons authorized by permit issued by the department or to another licensed fur-bearing animal propagator.
- A person who sells fur-bearing animals prepared for immediate consumption may purchase the carcass of a fur-bearing animal only from a wholesale fur dealer.
- A wholesale fur dealer may purchase the carcass or pelt of a fur-bearing animal at any time, provided it was lawfully taken during the commercial season.
- Fur-bearing animals offered for sale may only be taken during the commercial season.
- Finished products may be sold by anyone.
- No person may purchase, possess after purchase or transport for commercial purposes a pelt or carcass taken in this state unless the person has acquired and possesses a wholesale fur dealer's license.
- A trapper may sell the carcass or pelt of a fur-bearing animal only to a wholesale fur dealer or a puchaser outside Texas. Trappers selling fur-bearing animals to purchasers outside Texas must complete and submit an annual report accounting for all sales out of state.
A report on a form provided by the department must be completed and filed with the department on or before May 31 by holders of wholesale fur dealer's licenses. Licensed fur-bearing animal propagators must file reports by August 31 of each year. Failure to meet these reporting requirements will prevent renewal of the dealer or propagation license.
For other information concerning hunting and fishing regulations, parks, wildlife or other subjects related to TPWD, call our toll-free number: (800) 792-1112 during regular business hours.
At any time of the day, a person may call toll-free (800) 792-GAME(4263) to report a violation of the state's game and fish laws. A reward may be offered to eligible callers who provide information which leads to a conviction.