SALE OR PURCHASE OF FUR-BEARING ANIMALS OR PELTS
- Fur-bearing animals and their pelts can only be sold by:
- licensed trappers;
- wholesale fur dealers;
- fur-bearing animal propagators.
- Fur-bearing animals and their pelts can only be purchased for resale by wholesale fur dealers.
- Fur-bearing animals and their pelts may be purchased by consumers only for personal use (no resale).
- Trappers may sell non-living fur-bearing animals or their pelts taken during commercial harvest at any time during the year.
- Live fur-bearing animals may be sold only by a licensed fur-bearing animal propagator, and only sold to persons authorized by permit issued by the department or to another licensed fur-bearing animal propagator.
- A person who sells fur-bearing animals prepared for immediate consumption may purchase the carcass of a fur-bearing animal only from a wholesale fur dealer.
- A wholesale fur dealer may purchase the carcass or pelt of a fur-bearing animal at any time, provided it was lawfully taken during the commercial season.
- Fur-bearing animals offered for sale may only be taken during the commercial season.
- Finished products may be sold by anyone.
- No person may purchase, possess after purchase or transport for commercial purposes a pelt or carcass taken in this state unless the person has acquired and possesses a wholesale fur dealer's license.
- A trapper may sell the carcass or pelt of a fur-bearing animal only to a wholesale fur dealer or a puchaser outside Texas. Trappers selling fur-bearing animals to purchasers outside Texas must complete and submit an annual report accounting for all sales out of state.
A report on a form provided by the department must be completed and filed with the department on or before May 31 by holders of wholesale fur dealer's licenses. Licensed fur-bearing animal propagators must file reports by August 31 of each year. Failure to meet these reporting requirements will prevent renewal of the dealer or propagation license.
- Fur Trapper Sales Report - Out-of-State Sales Only (PWD-137) (DOCX, 34.5 KB)
- Wholesale Fur Dealer Daily Purchase Report (PWD-0137A) (DOCX, 51.9 KB)
- Wholesale Fur Dealer Purchase Summary Report (PWD-0136) (DOCX, 175.4 KB)
For other information concerning hunting and fishing regulations, parks, wildlife or other subjects related to TPWD, call our toll-free number: (800) 792-1112 during regular business hours.
At any time of the day, a person may call toll-free (800) 792-GAME(4263) to report a violation of the state's game and fish laws. A reward may be offered to eligible callers who provide information which leads to a conviction.