All wild varieties of:
- Bobwhite quail
- Gambel's quail
- Migratory game birds (all species)
- Scaled quail (blue)
- Species with no open season:
- • Attwater's prairie chicken
- • Mearn's (Montezuma) quail
- • Partridge (includes chukar)
- • Lesser Prairie Chicken
- MIGRATORY GAME BIRDS
- Dove, teal, gallinule, rail, snipe, and woodcock.
- Waterfowl and sandhill crane regulations are contained in a separate digest available in October wherever licenses are sold.
- General Season:
- Selected Panhandle (37) counties: Dec. 7, 2013-Jan. 5, 2014. Bag limit: three cocks. Possession limit: six cocks.
- It is unlawful to hunt pheasant by the aid of dragging of a cable, chain, rope, or other device connected to or between a moving object or objects.
- General Season:
- QUAIL – Bobwhite, Scaled (blue) and Gambel's
- General Season: Oct. 26, 2013-Feb. 23, 2014. Daily bag limit: 15. Possession limit: 45.
- See County Listings for specific county regulations.
- It is against the law to hunt roosting turkeys by any means at any time.
- Special Requirements for Proof of Sex: see Processing Carcass in Camp.
- SPECIAL REGULATIONS for Eastern Spring Season in certain East Texas counties: Shotgun, archery and crossbows only, no hunting over bait; all turkeys must be checked at a check station within 24 hours after they are killed; and harvested turkeys may be field dressed, but must otherwise remain intact. See: Turkey Check Stations
NOTICE: READ THE TAG USE DESCRIPTION ON YOUR LICENSE CAREFULLY BEFORE ATTACHING TO HARVESTED TURKEY.
|Tag Number||USE ON TURKEY ONLY:|
|1||Rio Grande Turkey – Valid Only in a county for which the annual bag limit is four turkeys|
|2||Rio Grande Turkey – Valid Only in a county for which the annual bag limit is four turkeys|
|3||Eastern or Rio Grande Turkey – Valid in certain East Texas counties with an annual bag limit of 1 (see County Listings) OR in any county with an annual bag limit of four turkeys|
|4||Rio Grande Turkey – Valid in any county for which the bag limit is four turkeys OR during the Spring Season in Bastrop, Caldwell, Colorado, Fayette, Jackson, Lavaca, Lee, and Milam counties (see County Listings).|
- TURKEY YOUTH-ONLY (all counties with a fall general season for Rio Grande turkey):
- Age Restriction: In the applicable counties, only licensed hunters 16 years of age or younger may hunt turkey.
- Special Youth-Only Season: Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 26-27, 2013. Firearms are lawful, as well as the applicable archery-only legal means.
- January Special Youth-Only Season: Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 18-19, 2014. All legal methods are allowed.
- Bag Limit: As specified for the county during the Fall Rio Grande Turkey season (see County Listings).
- Youth-Only Spring Season dates, all counties with a four-turkey bag limit (Rio Grande turkey only):
- North Zone: Mar. 22-23, 2014 and May 17-18, 2014
- South Zone: Mar. 8-9, 2014 and May 3-4, 2014