Sea Center Texas has one of the most versatile and active volunteer groups in the TPWD system. Each month, about 100 volunteers donate their time to act as Sea Center Texas ambassadors, guiding tours, greeting visitors, and providing "expert" knowledge at special events. They also form the heart of more mundane activities by helping maintain the site and develop support within the community. This group’s work has been recognized both individually and as a team since its inception with awards for excellence.
Anyone 17 years old or older or who will be accompanied by someone 17 years or older may apply to become a volunteer. Applicants must consent to a criminal background check and be willing to pledge at least six hours a month of service. Volunteers may complete the TPWD on-line volunteer application or request volunteer applications by calling Sea Center Texas at 979-292-0100 or by email at email@example.com
A wide variety of volunteer opportunities are available including:
- Welcomes the public, oversees visitor registration, and answers questions regarding Sea Center Texas, and Brazosport points of interest. Must be able to communicate effectively and deal with the public in a professional manner.
- Gift Shop
Gift Shop Volunteer
- Tour Guide
- Provides interpretive tours of the visitor center and fish culture buildings. Must be able to deal with the public professionally, communicate effectively and learn hatchery culture procedures and respond to questions about hatchery operations and the facility. Must have good customer service skills.
- Touch Tank
- Assists children and adults in handling touch tank organisms. Must have good customer service skills, be able to learn life history information and respond to questions about Texas marine life and communicate effectively. Must be able to deal with the public in a professional manner.
- Answer questions on the aquariums, their inhabitants, and the natural history of the ecosystems and communities represented in these exhibits.
- Assist Sea Center staff with administrative work such as filing, data entry, and answering of telephones.
Youth Fishing Volunteer
- Assists with maintaining Wildscape Demonstration Garden and facility landscaping. Must be willing to work outdoors.
- Youth Fishing
- Must be able to assist with catch and release fishing and identifying fish. Volunteers teach fishing skills and impart aquatic stewardship.