Texas State Bison Music Festival
Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015
Come celebrate and support the Official Bison Herd of the State of Texas and their habitat! The Festival starts at 10 a.m. with arts, crafts, food vendors, and other activities. The live music starts at 3 p.m. This year's featured entertainers are Lee Roy Parnell and Gary P. Nunn!
The 14,000-acre Caprock Canyons State Park is home to the Official Bison Herd of the state of Texas, the last remaining example of the Great Southern Herd.
In the canyons surrounding the Caprock Escarpment of the Texas Panhandle during the height of the infamous bison slaughter in 1878, the descendants of this Texas herd were saved and brought back from the brink of extinction by cattleman Charles Goodnight and his wife Mary Ann. At one time, 30 to 60 million bison roamed North America; by 1895, an estimated 541 bison remained on the planet.
The Texas State Bison Herd and its historic landscape in Caprock Canyons State Park is a key component in conserving the species of plains bison. Working in conjunction with other conservation partners, Caprock Canyons State Park has developed an aggressive management plan to restore the park landscape and its wildlife to their state prior to European settlement of the area.
The event will raise funds to help continue restoration of the Texas State Bison Herd's historic range within Caprock Canyon State Park, and allow visitors the chance to celebrate the cultural and natural history of the Panhandle region.
During the celebration, visitors will be able to donate directly to the Texas State Bison Herd Restoration Project or purchase merchandise to support prairie restoration efforts. Donations can also be made online by visiting www.caprockpartnersfoundation.com, or by calling (806) 455-1441.
This event is an old west street dance in Quitaque, the Gateway to Caprock Canyon (about three miles south of the park entrance)
- 3:00 - 3:45 Kevin Deal
- 4:00 - 4:45 Zac Wilkerson
- 5:00 - 6:00 Jamie Richards
- 6:15 - 7:30 Gary P. Nunn
- 7:45 - 9:00 Mark Powell
- 9:30 - 10:45 Lee Roy Parnell
Arts, craft and food vendors from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
VIP Tickets Available
VIP Ticket Holders Luncheon: 4 – 5 p.m.
VIP Area is open from: 2 p.m. - ???
Advance tickets are available, or you can get them at the gate on the day of the show.
- The Texas State Bison Music Festival Facebook page
- The Texas State Bison Music Festival web page
- Download the 2015 Texas State Bison Music Festival Poster
- Saving the Southern Plains Bison at Caprock Canyon State Park video
- Read more about the bison and their new habitat in the November 2011 Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine article "Home on the Range."
- Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway main page
- Follow Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway on Facebook
- Read the Sept. 8 News Release, "Fourth Annual Bison Music Festival Hosts First-Ever Street Dance for Buffalo Herd Restoration Project"