Citizens Park Ranger Academy
Dinosaur Valley State Park Citizens’ Park Ranger Academy helps area residents learn about their local state park. Consider the academy a gateway to building long-lasting partnerships. After attending, students should have an in-depth understanding and appreciation of Dinosaur Valley and Cleburne State Parks, the Texas State Park system, our staff, and Texas State Parks’ purpose and mission.
The upcoming academy will take place at Dinosaur Valley and Cleburne State Parks in April 2016 (dates and details coming soon).
Students will meet from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday for four weeks. Enrollment is limited.
- Week 1: Field Operations at Cleburne State Park
- Week 2: Wildland Firefighting at Dinosaur Valley State Park
- Week 3: Law Enforcement, Search and Rescue, and a Dutch Oven Cookoff at Cleburne State Park
- Week 4: Park Interpretation, Cultural and Archeological Resources, and Graduation at Dinosaur Valley State Park
If you are interested in the academy, or need more information, e-mail Robert Enckhausen or call (254) 897-4588.
- Citizen’s Park Ranger Academy (CPRA) students must be 15 years of age or older to attend without a parent. Students between 13-15 years old must have a parent or guardian enroll also. Students 13 to 17 years old must be enrolled in middle school, high school, or the equivalent.
- Attending the CPRA is a privilege. We may ask students to leave the park if they become disruptive or are unable to follow safety protocols.
- Students must sign a Texas State Park waiver to participate in CPRA activities.
- Students may not bring their children to the park unless they arrange adequate supervision. The park is unable to provide child care for CPRA students. Children can only attend the academy if they are CPRA students.
- Students must be prepared to walk, hike, crawl, dig, stand, jump, lift, and take on other physically demanding tasks as part of the CPRA. Students should immediately tell park staff if they are unable to perform any tasks. Students will still be able to participate, but may only be able to observe other students and staff.