The 576-acre Falcon State Park is located north of Roma. The park sits at the southern end of the Falcon International Reservoir in Starr and Zapata counties. The reservoir straddles the border of Texas and Mexico.
Mexican President Adolfo Ruiz Cortines and President Dwight D. Eisenhower dedicated Falcon Dam in October 1953. The waters of the Rio Grande formed a lake 28 miles long behind the dam. This 84,000-surface-acre lake saves water, irrigates crops, and provides power, flood control and recreation.
The state leased the land for the park from the International Boundary and Water Commission in 1949. The park opened in 1965.
Find more information: