Fort Leaton State Historic Site

Mar. 4, 2015 - A winter storm is predicted for much of Texas; please check local weather and road conditions, and contact the park before travelling....

History

History

Fort Leaton State Historic Site, consisting of 23.4 acres, five of which are the site of a pioneer trading post, is located in Presidio County. The park was acquired Dec. 8, 1967, by deed from a private owner and was opened to the public in 1978.

In 1848, Ben Leaton built a fortified adobe trading post known as Fort Leaton. He dominated border trade with the Apache and Comanche Indians before he died in 1851. In 1936, the Texas Centennial Commission placed a marker at the site.


Back to Top
Back to Top