Honey Creek State Natural Area is 2,293.7 acres located in western Comal County, approximately 30 miles north of downtown San Antonio. The area, once a ranch, was acquired by deed from the Texas Nature Conservancy in 1985 and by deed from a private individual in 1988, and was opened for limited access in 1985.
Chipped stone tools are all that remain to attest to the use of Honey Creek by early hunter-gatherers, who roamed throughout the Edwards Plateau region. Artifacts which have been found on the property give silent testimony of later Indian tribes spending time on the land.
Beginning in the mid-1800s, the cultural history of the property becomes well-defined. The Doeppenschmidts from Bavaria were among the German immigrants who accompanied Prince Carl von Solms-Braunfels to settle in Central Texas. They began to homestead in the Honey Creek area in 1866. Gradually, over the years, the Doeppenschmidt family members acquired many parcels of land including what would become Honey Creek Ranch. The various parcels were finally consolidated under the ownership of Adam Doeppenschmidt in 1894 and sold by him to Otto Weidner and Fred Rust in 1910. The tracts, which became Honey Creek Ranch, were worked by the Weidners until 1971, at which time, they were sold to W. O. Bartle, Jr. of Houston.