Red Hot Fried Apples
recipe submitted by Denise Scribner from Wichita, KS
This gluten free treat is great to make. When ever I go camping I cook this up to go with my Dutch oven homemade biscuits.
1- 6 oz. package red hot candies
3 large Granny Smith apples
6-8 strips of bacon
- Fry 6-8 strips of bacon to a crispy brown. Drain and set fried bacon aside. Save the bacon grease.
- While the bacon is frying, cut up 3 large Granny Smith Apples into chunks.
- Place the apples in the bacon grease and begin to cook.
- When apples begin to get soft, add 1 package of red hot candies to the skillet. Stir to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Continue cooking apples in the grease and the red hot candies until all of the candies are melted and evenly distributed throughout the apples.
- Place in serving bowl and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.
- Can be served as a side or on hot butter biscuits. Also great over ice cream, on pancakes, you name it!
Keep in air tight container in the refrigerator and reheat on stove or in the microwave for to enjoy the hot mixture experience once again.
Return to Recipe List