Dutch Oven Green Chile, Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas
recipe submitted by Victoria Serna from Denton, TX
16 corn tortillas
3 large chicken breasts, shredded
3-4 cups spinach (or kale, chard, greens)
1 pkg Neufchatel cheese [similar to cream cheese] (softened)
1 can diced green chiles
1 28oz can green chile enchilada sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1 large zip-loc bag
1 12-inch dutch oven
At Home Steps:
- Cook your chicken in any method you choose so it can be shredded. I usually bake or boil it, but I have tried cooking it in a pan on the stove. Baking it makes it much easier to shred, in my opinion. Shred the chicken and set aside.
- Place a pan over the stove on medium-low heat. Add the shredded chicken, Neufchatel cheese, spinach (chard, kale, or other veggies), and diced green chiles to a pan.
- Cook on medium-low heat until all of the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted, usually 5-7 minutes. Let the mixture cool. (Tip: add the cheese in small chunks)
- Once mixture is cool, use a spatula to put all of it in a gallon-size zip-loc bag. You can easily put this in your cooler until you're ready for dinner at the campsite. You'll need to take the other items so you can make the meal at the campsite.
- Don't forget: the can of sauce, a can-opener, a dutch-oven (been there, forgot that), shredded cheese, tongs, a spatula, a lighter, charcoal (or wood), and a leather glove for handing hot tools. Take the tools you need to have a comfortable meal!
At the Campsite Steps:
- Light enough coals to heat your dutch oven to approximately 350 degrees. We have a 12-inch dutch oven and usually heat enough to have about 14 coals on top and 10 on bottom, give or take.
- Heat the dutch oven on the bottom coals for a few seconds and then pour some sauce straight from the can into the bottom of the oven.
- Place a layer of tortillas at the bottom of the pan, overlapping them as needed. Spread a layer of your chicken and spinach mixture on the first layer of tortillas. Repeat this step twice to have more tortillas in the "casserole" or do this step once to have a more creamy version.
- Cover the enchiladas with a layer of tortillas and pour the remaining sauce into the dutch oven. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Place the lid on the dutch oven, add the coals on top, and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted. For best results, turn your dutch oven 1/4 turn every 5-7 minutes for more even cooking.
- Use your spatula to serve the enchiladas, and enjoy
Return to Recipe List