Kinda Muffalatta Sandwiches
For the Olive-Feta Spread:
- ½ cup coarsely chopped olives (equals about 10 large olives)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about ½ teaspoon)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, julienned (technically this is optional, but a nice touch)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
For the Sandwich Assembly:
- 1 large loaf of bread, French or ciabatta
- 6 ounces sliced hard salami
- ½ cup chopped artichoke hearts (NOT marinated)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- Combine all the ingredients for the spread. You may use it immediately or store it in the fridge for up to a week.
- Slice the bread horizontally.
- Spread the olive mixture on the bottom half. Try to get it as even as possible.
- Arrange the artichoke hearts over that.
- Arrange the salami over the artichokes; get as even a layer as possible.
- Drizzle the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top half of the bread.
- Slap the top half of the bread over that and wrap the whole caboodle up tightly in plastic wrap or if you are so fortunate as to have the perfect sized Tupperware, put it in that.
- Refrigerate (or don’t!) until it’s time to eat. This sandwich made as is will easily keep overnight with no discernible difference in texture and an even better taste.
- Add the cucumber slices right before serving
Recipe courtesy of Hilah Johnson at Hilah Cooking (http://hilahcooking.com)