Field Trip Guidelines
Take advantage of this unique learning experience! Plan a full day visit to Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Monument, Battleground, Museum of History, and the Texas Forever multimedia presentation.
Reservations are required for a class field trip, especially during the busy months of March, April and May. If you need to reschedule or cancel your visit, please call as early as possible. Note: We limit the number of visitors due to the size of our facilities as well as safety and fire codes.
Please call (281) 479-2431 to make reservations. We will need:
- Name of your school
- Complete mailing address of your school
- Name of the contact person for this field trip
- Telephone number for the contact person
- Number of students and adults
- Grade level
- Preferred date and time and at least one alternative date and time
- Do you have any "special needs" students?
We will mail a written confirmation and a tour information packet after you make your reservation.
Please call (281) 479-2421 to make reservations for the monument, museum, observation floor and the Texas Forever! multimedia presentation.
Admission, guided tours, and deck activity packages are free to school groups by reservation only. Space for guided tours and activity packages is limited.
One teacher, teacher's aide or adult chaperone must remain with each group of no more than 10 students.
- Battleship Self-guided Group Tour -10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m., 4 p.m.
- Texas Forever! - Shows every hour, on the hour, starting at 10 a.m.
Visit our Maps page for directions.
We have two gift shops. The Ship's Store is next to the battleship, and the second shop is inside the monument. Both stores are small with many inexpensive and educational items. The Ship's Store permits groups of five supervised students in the store for about five minutes. This restriction is especially important with larger groups.
For information on inventory and prices, contact the Ship's Store directly at (281) 479-2431, ext. 230 or 231.
The parking lot at the battleship can accommodate up to 25 buses. Buses should park in designated areas. There is a designated school bus drop off and parallel parking around the monument.
Restrooms are available throughout the site. One is located inside the monument. Another is a building with a red tile roof next to the battleship. The ship does not have a public restroom onboard.
Picnic facilities are available throughout the site on a first-come, first-served basis. The picnic area near the battleship has nine tables with several additional tables at a shaded area next to the snack shop. A covered pavilion with several picnic tables overlooks Buffalo Bayou (reservation and use fee required). On rainy days, students often eat lunch in their bus.
The Ship's Galley, a snack shop and shaded outdoor eating area next to Battleship Texas, offers a limited menu. Box lunches for school and tour groups are available with advance arrangements. Call (713) 545-5706 for further information.
Hints and Expectations
Bring your students to the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battleground state historic sites to enrich their understanding of historical events and artifacts, and help them form a lasting connection with our past. Without this understanding, a field trip is no more than a trip to a city park.
We explain what an artifact is and that artifacts are to be respected. The battleship is an artifact that is a National Historic Landmark and a National Mechanical Engineering Landmark. The museum is a repository for priceless artifacts.
Battleship Texas tells three unique stories.
- Historical: The battleship is the only surviving major ship in the world that fought in both world wars.
- Engineering: The ship carries 1912 engines and 1945 weapons, with a sampling of technology from the years between.
- Human: Learn about the sailors who manned the ship and how they lived and fought.
Expectations for teachers and students
Large groups of students can create a traffic flow problem in all of our facilities. To ensure everyone’s safety and to be fair to the other visitors, we ask that you follow these rules:
- Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled time. Because our sites are popular for field trips, we cannot adjust your scheduled time if you arrive late. We will ask you to reschedule.
- Please use school check, cash or credit card for payment. We will provide a receipt. The Texas Comptroller's Office in Austin process refunds; we cannot give refunds at the park.
- Upon arrival at the battleship, the coordinator must check in at the Ship's Store with payment and the completed and signed Trip Data Form (from the trip information packet). If paying with a school check, make it payable to Battleship Texas.
- Upon arrival at the monument, the coordinator must check in at the payment desk, with payment and the completed and signed Trip Data Form. If paying with a school check, make it payable to the San Jacinto Museum of History.
- The self-guided tours of the ship will normally take about an hour. The San Jacinto Battleground, site of Sam Houston's victory over General Santa Anna in 1836, is next to the ship. Allow time to tour the battleground and the San Jacinto Monument while you are here.
- The staff and volunteers for the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battleground state historic sites look forward to your visit. If you have any questions or problems, please give us a call at the battleship, (281) 479-2431, or the monument, (281) 479-2421.