Review the Statutes concerning operation of Off-Highway Vehicles:
** HELMETS ARE REQUIRED **
The Texas OHV Program encourages the usage of the responsible trail use principles developed by the Tread Lightly Program. At a minimum these principles include:
- Travel and recreate with minimum impact
- Respect the environment and the rights of others
- Educate yourself--plan and prepare before you go
- Allow for future use of the outdoors—leave it better than you found it
- Discover the rewards of responsible recreation
You can find more information for the Tread Lightly Program at: www.treadlightly.org
Safety Requirements for operating OHV's
- Always wear protective gear including helmets, eye protection & appropriate footwear
- Ride an ATV that's right for your age:
- Age 6 and older under 70cc
- Age 12 and older 70cc—90cc
- Age 16 and older over 90cc
- Supervise riders younger than 16 years of age.
- Full sized OHV's should have hard tops or roll cages, seat belts and should carry fire extinguishers
- Buckle up!
- Travel in groups of two or more
- Keep in touch - CB radios, cell phones, and walkie talkies come in handy
- Know limitations of yourself and your vehicle
- No smoking on the trails
- Don't drink and drive or ride!
- Don't overextend yourself
- Don't tailgate - always follow at a safe distance
- Don't overextend daylight hours
- Use common sense
- Always avoid paved surfaces. Never ride on public roads.
- Ride only on designated trails and ride responsibly!