Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hide Alert Show Alert

Stay up-to-date on operations adjustments and temporary closure of TPWD offices, state parks, recreation facilities and water access points due to COVID-19. Please follow guidance from local authorities, Governor Greg Abbott and the Texas Department of State Health Services.


Frequently Asked Questions

Private Fishing Ponds

What if cormorants are eating my fish?

Cormorants are dark-colored, long-necked diving birds. They may be a bigger problem than wading birds, because they can dive down to 25 feet in pursuit of fish. Like egrets and herons, the cormorant is a migratory bird protected by federal law. However, a 2003 law allows states to establish rules for control of nuisance cormorants.

Private landowners in Texas may apply for a Nuisance Double-crested Cormorant Control Permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. For information on this program, call 512/389-4585.

Fish farms and aquaculture facilities are not eligible for the state-issued permit. They may apply for a federal depredation permit from the US Fish & Wildlife Service Migratory Bird Office, 505/248-7882.