Note: This item is more than eight years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.

PrintPlain TextPermalink

News Release
Media Contact:
TPWD News,, 512-389-8030

Oct. 11, 2008

Texas Game Warden Dies after Training Exercise

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas Game Warden George Whatley, 45, died yesterday in Fort Stockton after collapsing following a training exercise. Whatley was participating in a physical agility test along with 10 other West Texas wardens when he was stricken.

All Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) game wardens are in the process of completing a physical agility test which will determine their baseline level of fitness as required for a mandatory standard passed into law during the 80th Legislative session. All commissioned state peace officers at TPWD, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, Texas Department of Criminal Justice and the Department of Public Safety are covered under the new law.

The wardens were participating in a physical agility test at Fort Stockton High School and performed push-ups, sit-ups, a 300-meter sprint, bench presses, a vertical leap and an agility course yesterday morning.

The wardens took a rest break before a 1.5 mile run, and during that time Whatley said he was not feeling well. He did not participate in the run but sat down in the shade to rest. After the other wardens had completed their run, Whatley was found slumped over, but still breathing.

An EMT-trained warden worked on him until EMS transported him to Fort Stockton Hospital, where emergency personnel worked for more than an hour to revive him. He was pronounced dead at 3:30 p.m.

Whatley, who was from Cass County in East Texas, was stationed in Van Horn and graduated from the game warden academy in 2007. He is survived by his wife, Kelly, and two sons: Sam, 14, and Seth, 13.

"Our deepest condolences are extended to the Whatley family in this untimely and tragic incident," said Carter Smith, TPWD executive director. "We will do all we can to support the family through their grief."

An autopsy was performed this morning in Lubbock. As in all other cases involving the death of an employee while on duty, an internal TPWD investigation is underway. A funeral is being planned for East Texas next week and details will be announced as they are available.


More Information:

Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.

Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.

Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.

To copy text into an editing software:

  • Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
  • Select all.
  • Copy.
  • Paste in a document in your editing program.

Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.

English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.

If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to and mention Plain Text Pages.

(5.4.16 i)