Note: This item is more than four years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Deadline Approaching to Enter Big Time Texas Hunts Drawing
Entry deadline is Oct. 15
AUSTIN – The Lone Star State has a lot of land that’s primed for hunting and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is offering outdoors enthusiasts the chance to win several hunts of a lifetime.
TPWD’s Big Time Texas Hunts program offers hunters the opportunity to win one or more of seven prime guided hunting packages in the state, all of which include food and lodging, and some include taxidermy. The premier package of the program is the Texas Grand Slam hunt that includes four separate hunts for each of Texas’ most prized big game animals: the desert bighorn sheep, white-tailed deer, mule deer and pronghorn antelope.
Other hunting packages available in Big Time Texas Hunts include opportunities to pursue alligator, upland game birds, exotic big game and waterfowl.
Linda Campbell, TPWD public hunting program director, said each of the seven adventures in Big Time Texas Hunts is a rare opportunity to participate in a guided hunt on some of the best land in the state.
“Our hunts are held on private lands, high quality ranches with great amenities, and on a number of our premier wildlife management areas,” she said. “The hunts are fully guided and the food and lodging is top notch. We try to provide memorable overall hunting experiences.”
Entries for the Big Time Texas Hunts are $9 if purchased online and $10 if purchased at a license retailer or over the phone at 800-895-4248. Online purchases will include a $5 convenience charge per transaction, meaning hunters can buy as many entries as they wish online for one low fee.
“These are really high quality hunting experiences for a low entry price,” said Carly Montez, TPWD marketing coordinator.
The deadline to enter the year’s Big Time Texas Hunts is Oct. 15, and there is no limit to the number of entries an individual may purchase. Entrants must be at least 17 years of age to enter.
Purchasers do not have to have a hunting license to enter the contest, but must have a valid license before going on a hunt if they win a package.
Big Time Texas Hunts generates an average of $750,000 each year for TPWD with the proceeds supporting public hunting, wildlife management and research and habitat conservation.
Here is a breakdown of each of the Big Time Texas Hunts offerings:
- The Texas Grand Slam – This is the hunt of a lifetime. The Texas Grand Slam offers one lucky winner four separate Texas big game hunts: desert bighorn sheep, white-tailed deer, pronghorn antelope and desert mule deer. This hunting package also includes food, lodging, taxidermy provided by Woodbury’s of Ingram and professional guide service for all four hunting trips. TPWD only issues two to three bighorn sheep public hunting permits a year. This is the chance to be one of the few able to have a bighorn sheep hunting opportunity. The bighorn sheep hunt takes place on one of Texas’ outstanding wildlife management areas. The white-tailed deer, pronghorn antelope and desert mule deer hunts will be on some of the most exclusive private ranches in Texas. The Texas Grand Slam winner may also bring along a non-hunting companion to share in this awesome trip.
- Texas Premium Buck Hunt – This is the ultimate deer hunting opportunity. Experience the thrill of pursuing a mature trophy white-tailed buck in the rugged South Texas brush country. One winner and a guest will enjoy one of the finest deer hunting trips that Texas can offer. Professional guide service, food and accommodations are included to provide each hunter comfort and great hunting.
- Texas Waterfowl Adventure – One Texas Waterfowl Adventure winner and up to three invited guests will win a series of three exciting waterfowl hunting trips. The hunts are located on some of the best waterfowl areas in Texas. Trips include a Coastal Prairies guided hunt for snows, blues and white-fronted geese; a guided duck hunt in the Coastal Marshes; and a hunt for wood ducks and mallards in East Texas.
- Texas Whitetail Bonanza – Ten Texas Whitetail Bonanza winners will each get to experience a high-quality white-tailed deer hunt on popular Texas ranches, the Chaparral Wildlife Management Area and the Gene Howe Wildlife Management Area. Hunting guide service, food and lodging are provided on these 3- to 5-day hunting trips. Each hunting package winner can bring a hunting companion as well.
- Texas Exotic Safari – Two winners will experience the thrill of hunting African exotic game in Texas on the famous Mason Mountain Wildlife Management Area. Winners can take advantage of two exotic hunting opportunities for species including sable antelope, gemsbok oryx, scimitar-horned oryx or axis deer. Hunters may choose to use a modern rifle, muzzleloader, bow and arrow; or crossbow. Winners can also bring along a companion to hunt exotic animals. Food and lodging will be provided as part of the hunting package at the scenic Mason Mountain WMA lodge. Taxidermy is provided for the two winners. Proceeds will benefit wildlife conservation and research on Mason Mountain WMA.
- Texas Big Time Bird Hunt – One Texas Big Time Bird Hunt winner will enjoy unique hunting trips for upland game birds. You and up to three of your friends will enjoy two days of quail hunting, two days of pheasant hunting in the Panhandle and two afternoons of dove hunting. One guest can also join you for a two-day guided hunt for spring turkey. Food, guide service and lodging are included on each bird-hunting trip, and pointing dogs are provided for quail and pheasant hunts.
- Texas Gator Hunt – One winner and a guest will enjoy a rare and unique 3-day hunting trip pursuing legendary Texas alligators at the J.D. Murphee Wildlife Management Area on the Gulf Coast. Each alligator hunt allows the hunters to harvest one trophy alligator. All necessary equipment, expert guides, lodging and hide removal are included in the hunting package. The Texas Gator Hunt winner and guest will also be treated to an airboat tour of the marsh to view alligators.
For more information on Big Time Texas Hunts and to enter online, please visit http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/buyentry.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Plain Text Pages.