Note: This item is more than two years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
Texas Sets Waterfowl Seasons for 2013-14
Canvasback bag raised for first time since 1964; possession limits increased
AUSTIN – For the first time in a half century, Texas waterfowlers can take two canvasbacks daily under migratory game bird seasons approved for the 2013-14 by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission.
The increase comes with news of healthy waterfowl populations, with all species except pintail and scaup numbering above the long term goals identified in the North American Waterfowl Management Plan.
“Overall, waterfowl are doing quite well,” Kevin Kraai, Waterfowl Program Leader for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department told commissioners. “We’re near record levels and in some instances in the glory days for ducks.”
The commission also adopted a staggered split between the North and South Zones to allow for the opportunity of an additional week for those waterfowlers who travel between zones.
In another change to the season framework that should be welcomed by hunters, the possession limits for all migratory game birds is now three times the daily limit. For ducks, including teal during the early Sept. 14-29 season, the possession limit is 18.
The only decrease in bag limit configuration involves scaup, with a reduction to three daily. Following are the adopted season dates and limits:
2013-14 Migratory Game Bird Seasons
- High Plains Mallard Management Unit: Youth: Oct. 19 — Oct. 20; Regular: Oct. 26 — Oct. 27 and Nov. 1 — Jan. 26; “Dusky” Duck: Nov. 4 — Jan. 26.
- South Zone: Youth: Oct. 26 — Oct. 27; Regular: Nov. 2 — Dec. 1 and Dec. 14 — Jan. 26; “Dusky” Duck: Nov. 7 — Dec. 1 and Dec. 14 — Jan. 26.
- North Zone: Youth: Oct. 26 — Oct. 27 ; Regular: Nov. 2 — Dec. 8 and Dec. 21 — Jan. 26; “Dusky” Duck: Nov. 7 — Dec. 8 and Dec. 21 — Jan. 26.
Bag Limit: 6/day in the aggregate to include no more than 3 wood ducks, 3 scaup, 5 mallards, of which only 2 may be hens, 2 redheads, 2 pintail , 2 canvasback, 1 “dusky duck” (mottled, black or Mexican-like) after the first 5 days. Mergansers: 5/day with no more than 2 hooded merganser. Coots: 15/day
- East Zone: Light Geese Nov. 2 — Jan. 26, Canada Geese Nov. 2 — Jan. 26; White-fronted Geese: Nov. 2 — Jan. 12; Light Geese Conservation Order Jan. 27 — Mar. 23.
- Bag Limit: 3 Canada geese, 2 White-fronted geese, 20 light geese (no possession limit).
- West Zone: Light Geese Nov. 2 — Feb. 2; Dark Geese Nov. 2 — Feb. 2; Light Geese Conservation Order Feb. 3 — Mar. 23.
Bag Limit: 5 dark geese with no more than one white-fronted goose, 20 light geese (no possession limit).
- Zone A: Nov. 2– Feb. 2.Bag Limit: 3.
- Zone B: Nov. 22-Feb. 2. Bag Limit: 3.
- Zone C: Dec. 21 -Jan. 26. Bag Limit: 2.
- North and South Duck Zones: Jan. 27 — Feb. 10.
Publication — Permission is granted to publish, in whole or in part, any news releases on this page.
Print — A print-friendly version of the news release shows only the release with font sizes set to the browser default.
Plain Text — Plain text versions of TPWD news releases are provided for copying and pasting into editing software.
To copy text into an editing software:
- Click a Plain Text link to display the plain text page in your browser.
- Select all.
- Paste in a document in your editing program.
Permalink — This is a direct link to the news release, omitting the navigation context from the URI.
English/Spanish — News releases posted in both English and Spanish have one of these links.
If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Plain Text Pages.