TPWD Print-Friendly Page:

Media Contact: TPWD News,, 512-389-8030

TPWD Website:

TPWD News Release — April 24, 2006

Landowners Reminded Licenses Needed to Operate Hunting Leases

AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department would like to remind landowners that a hunting lease license is required for certain hunting operations, and that such lease licenses must be renewed each year. The owner of a hunting lease or the landowner’s agent may not receive pay or anything of value from hunters unless the owner or agent has acquired a hunting lease license from the department. This law applies to all hunting leases.

There are three types of lease licenses: (1) hunting lease license; (2) hunting cooperative; and (3) wildlife management association. The license is required to be displayed on the hunting lease property.

The first type of license, the hunting lease license is for the total amount of property in a county owned by an individual, partnership, firm, or corporation. Lease licenses can be purchased at any location where Texas hunting or fishing licenses are sold. Or, licenses can be bought online with a credit card via the TPWD Web site. Fees are:

The second type of license, the hunting cooperative lease license, is for a cooperative enterprise in which participating landowners pool their acreage and lease it for hunting purposes under the authority of a hunting lease license and in which the leasing profits are distributed to the landowners, according to the landowners’ participation. Cooperative lease licenses require landowners to complete an application, available only at TPWD law enforcement offices across the state and TPWD headquarters in Austin.

The fees for this license are:

The third type of license is the wildlife management association area hunting lease license. This license also requires an application, available at law enforcement offices or TPWD headquarters. The department may designate two or more contiguous or proximate (a tract of land within one-half mile of another member tract) tracts of land as a wildlife management association area if:

  1. each owner of the land applies for the designation;
  2. the land is inhabited by wildlife;
  3. the department determines that observing wildlife and collecting information about the wildlife will serve the purpose of wildlife management in the state; and
  4. the landowners agree to provide the department with information regarding the wildlife under Section 81.302 of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code.

The fees for licensing of this type of area are:

A hunting lease license is valid for the period from Sept. 1 through Aug. 31.

“A person who violates any provision of the hunting lease license requirements or who fails to comply with any provision of the hunting lease license requirements commits an offense that is a Class C Parks and Wildlife Code misdemeanor, which carries a fine of between $25-$500,” said David Sinclair, chief of Wildlife Enforcement at TPWD.

For more information, call (512) 389-4854.


On the Net: