TPWD Print-Friendly Page: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/print.phtml?req=20100429c
General Media Contact: Business Hours, 512-389-4406
Additional Contacts: Maria Araujo (512) 389-4901, email@example.com
TPWD Website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us
TPWD News Release — April 29, 2010
Texas State Parks, TPWD Programs Show "Life’s Better Outside"
This summer, enjoy with your family the preparations for hunting season. Many Texans think that the season opens in November with deer hunting, but dove hunting opens in September. And following these tips, hunting season preparations can be fun for the entire family.
- Get your Hunter Education certification. This is required of all hunters born after September 1, 1971, when they turn 17 years old. Youth can be certified as early as 9 years of age. The classes are so convivial that some participants have made friends and formed hunting clubs.
- Learn or review in the course topics such as firearm safety, hunting ethics and regulations, the Public Hunting Program, and gear and field survival skills.
- Visit your local hunting gear store, see the latest in equipment, and compare prices. Expert store personnel are always ready to help customers make the best purchase.
- Practice to improve accuracy with the same equipment and ammunition you plan to use. Consult the Internet or phone book to find the nearest shooting range or rifle club. Friendly competition is a healthy way to improve shooting skills.
- Visit the place where you will hunt so that you can start scouting the site and the animals’ tracks and movements. If you do not have a site to hunt yet, buy the Annual Public Hunting Permit for $48 and get access to over 200 hunting areas throughout the state. Family members under 17 years of age can hunt with the permit holder. Persons 17 years or older who do not wish to hunt can have access to the same areas with the Limited Public Use Permit for $12. Since these annual permits are valid from September 1 through August 31, the Limited Public Use Permit is a good buy to explore the hunting sites from now through August 31. It can be purchased in the stores that sell hunting licenses.
- Buy your hunting license beginning August 15 and take advantage of it as soon as dove hunting opens in September. With the Public Hunting Permit, you will find many dove hunting sites near urban areas.
Obtain more information at: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/hunter_education/ or call Tel. 512-389-8142 (in Austin); toll free (800)792-1112 ext. 8142.
On the Net:
- This release in Spanish: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20100429d