|  TPWD News Release 20050725c                                            |
|  This page contains only plain text, no HTML formatting codes.          |
|  It is not designed for display in a browser but for copying            |
|  and editing in whatever software you use to lay out pages.             |
|  To copy the text into an editing program:                              |
|    --Display this page in your browser.                                 |
|    --Select all.                                                        |
|    --Copy.                                                              |
|    --Paste in a document in your editing program.                       |
|  If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send            |
|  an e-mail to webtech@tpwd.state.tx.us and mention Plain Text Pages.    |

[ Note: This item is more than 12 years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references. ]
[ Media Contact: TPWD News, news@tpwd.texas.gov, 512-389-8030 ] [KE]
July 25, 2005
Frequently Asked Questions About Boating Laws
Extra! Read All Aboat It!
UNDATED - Does the "Open Container" law apply when I'm in my boat?
No. This law, effective Sept. 1, 2001, prohibits the possession of an open container of an alcoholic beverage in the passenger area of a motor vehicle. It does not apply to watercraft.
Can my driver's license be suspended if I'm arrested for operating a boat while intoxicated?
Yes. Effective Sept.1, 2001, a person's drivers license will be automatically suspended if the arrested person:
--Is operating a watercraft powered with an engine having a manufacturer's rating of 50 horsepower or more; and
--The person refuses to provide a specimen (breath or blood) to determine intoxication.
The period of suspension for first time offenders is 180 days.
Who reports boating accidents to your department?
It is the responsibility of the boat operator who is involved in the accident. Each operator must file a boating accident report if the accident:
--Results in death; or
--Injuries to a person requiring medical treatment beyond first aid; or
--Causes damage to vessel(s) or property in excess of $500.
Report forms can be downloaded from the TPWD Web site under the BOATING link.
How do I find out if there are any special water safety regulations on a lake I want to visit?
The rules in the Texas Water Safety Act apply to all public water in Texas. The local governing body of incorporated cities or towns, county commissioner's courts, and political subdivisions can pass rules relating to restricted areas and the operation and equipment of boats it deems necessary for the public safety. You must contact the entity in charge to determine if any special rules apply.