|  TPWD News Release 20070530a                                            |
|  This page contains only plain text, no HTML formatting codes.          |
|  It is not designed for display in a browser but for copying            |
|  and editing in whatever software you use to lay out pages.             |
|  To copy the text into an editing program:                              |
|    --Display this page in your browser.                                 |
|    --Select all.                                                        |
|    --Copy.                                                              |
|    --Paste in a document in your editing program.                       |
|  If you have any suggestions for improving these pages, send            |
|  an e-mail to webtech@tpwd.state.tx.us and mention Plain Text Pages.    |

[ Note: This item is more than 10 years old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references. ]
[ Media Contact: TPWD News, news@tpwd.texas.gov, 512-389-8030 ]
[ Additional Contacts: Steve Lightfoot (512) 389-4701 or steve.lightfoot@tpwd.texas.gov; Tom Harvey (512) 389-4453 or tom.harvey@tpwd.texas.gov ]
May 30, 2007
Texas Game Warden Dies During Search and Rescue Operation
GLEN ROSE, Texas -- Texas Game Warden Teyran "Ty" Patterson, 28, died in the line of duty today during a search-and-rescue operation on the Paluxy River near here. Patterson apparently drowned after his boat capsized in floodwaters.
Patterson and his partner, Game Warden Danny Tuggle, were attempting to recover the body of a 16-year-old suspected drowning victim when the accident occurred. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department law enforcement officials are investigating. No additional details about the incident are available.
Tuggle, a 25-year veteran game warden, suffered near-drowning injuries and has been airlifted to Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth.
Patterson was the second Texas game warden killed in the line of duty in less than three months. Game Warden Justin Hurst was shot and killed on March 17 during an exchange of gunfire between law enforcement officers and a suspected poacher.
Since 1919, 17 Texas game wardens have lost their lives in the line of duty, five by drowning.
Patterson was a graduate of the 51st Texas Game Warden Academy in 2005 and had been stationed in Johnson County. He is survived by his parents, Viann and Joe Patterson of Seguin, Texas.
"Ty died doing what he loved. He died serving a Texas family dealing with its own tragic loss," said Col. Pete Flores, TPWD Law Enforcement Division director. "We are going to miss this courageous young game warden, and our hearts and prayers go out to his parents and loved ones."