History

Rocky shore of lakeLake Colorado City State Park is a 500-acre park, leased for 99 years from a utility company in Mitchell County. It is southwest of Colorado City. TPWD leased the land in 1971 and opened the park in 1972. 

The lake was built in 1949 on Morgan Creek, a tributary of the Colorado River. It provided cooling water for the Morgan Creek Power Plant, water for Colorado City, and recreation. Its waters no longer serve the first two purposes; it is now just for recreation.