Cold Slaw Ramen
Yield: about 4 servings
- 2 packages of Ramen Noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 4 scallions, shredded or sliced
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili paste
- 2 teaspoons sweet jam or juice (I used peach jam)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Cook the ramen noodles in boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes, or until they just become tender. Drain the noodles when cooked, and rinse immediately with cold water.
- Toss the noodles with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Put a second pot of water on, and bring it to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the shredded cabbage. Boil the cabbage for exactly one minute, then add the carrots. Boil for one more minute, then drain. Rinse immeditely with cold water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ponzu, vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, ginger, hot chili paste, jam/juice, and garlic.
- Combine the dressing and noodles and sesame seeds in a large bowl, and toss them gently.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Mary Helen Leonard at Mary Makes Dinner (http://marymakesdinner.typepad.com)