Student Research Pages - Cave or Cavern?
Cave or Cavern?
When you learned about four of our special Texas caves, did you notice two of them had the word "Cavern" as part of their names?
Did it make you wonder if a "cavern" was something different than a "cave?" It's not. A cavern is just a type of a cave.
- There are lots of types of caves. A cavern is just one type of cave.
- A cavern is a type of cave that grows "speleothems."
- Speleothems grow because stuff keeps getting added to make special formations.
- Exactly what kind of stuff gets added depends on what kind of rock the cave is formed in.
- Most caverns in Texas are formed in limestone so their speleothems will be formed from limestone deposits.
- Limestone caverns are the most common type of cavern everywhere, not just in Texas.
- So...most caverns in Texas will have limestone speleothems.
A cavern IS a cave...
it’s a just a special kind that grows special formations called:
To make all of these cave formations do you know what a cavern MUST have? WATER! Without water there would be no speleothems.
Without water there would be no cool cave formations.