Student Internship Program
To introduce interested college students, particularly women and minorities, to career opportunities in positions located statewide and job settings in which to gain practical experience and training in natural and cultural resource fields.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's (TPWD) Intern Program is for college students. Both paid and unpaid positions may be offered; paid positions depend on available funding. Available positions and locations will be listed on TPWD Current
Postings web page. While many of our Internships are for the Summer, there may be some during the Fall and/or the Spring.
The Program is very competitive for all positions (paid and unpaid). TPWD now uses an on-line application process for Interns.
- For Paid Intern positions: As soon as funding is finalized, paid Internships will be posted on our Current Postings page.
- For Unpaid Intern positions: As these are finalized, they will be posted on our Current Postings web page.
- For all TPWD Intern positions (paid and unpaid), you must submit at least one (1) of the following: copy of official transcript(s); copy of unofficial transcript(s); or official or unofficial transcript(s) marked "issued to student." Degree plans will NOT be accepted. Attach as you apply on-line.
Note: Lack of any of the required documents makes your application incomplete and it will not be considered. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of required documents.
Student Internship Program Salary Information
If selected for a paid Summer opportunity, Intern rate of pay is from student classification at end of Fall semester. The reason for this is Summer Interns' hire paperwork is completed before the Spring semester ends.
|College Student Classification
||Hourly Rate of Pay
- Undergraduate OR graduate college student enrolled in an accredited college or university at time of application.
- Minimum of 18 completed semester credit hours from an accredited college or university on transcripts.
- Must have an overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 grade point scale OR "Pass" on a Pass/Fail system.
- Must apply on-line. For paid and unpaid positions, this starts at Current Postings.
- Must attach official transcripts or unofficial transcripts to on-line application. Degree plans will NOT be accepted.
- Signatures will be obtained at time of hire.
How to Apply
Please note that in applying for TPWD positions, decisions are made based on your completed on-line TPWD/State of Texas application and *not* based on your resume. So, to maximize your chances of being selected for an interview with us:
- We encourage you to address each and every one of the "Knowledge, Skills and Abilities" and "Working Conditions" (found under that name on each TPWD Internship position) in the "Work Experience - Duties Summary" section of the on-line TPWD/State of Texas Application for Employment.
- For TPWD positions you are applying for, you may include relevant volunteer + non-paid experience.
- And completely list under "Additional Information" *all*
- Trainings; Certificates and Licenses; Skills; Military Service; Honors/Awards; Professional Memberships, etc. as part of:
- "Certificates and Licenses" section and/or
- "Skills," section and/or
- "Supplemental Information" sections. Please note Supplemental Information is where you may select:
- Military Service
- Professional Memberships
- Professional Associations
- and several other choices.
- Certificates and Licenses, such as
- Hunting and/or Fishing License
- EMT or Paramedic
- NWCG Fire Fighter type II
- Firearms Permit
- Boat Operator's License
- Water/Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Class "A" or "B" Commercial Driver's License, etc., (in the "Certificates and Licenses" section) you have.
- Attach additional page[s] as MS Word document; .jpg file or .pdf if/as needed.
- Skills - please list as relevant both under "Skills" and also in "Work Experience" sections of the on-line application. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Customer service
- Cash handling/reconciliatio;
- Field/military supervisor of teams of 12-24 (or whatever size)
- Power tools of all kinds
- MS Word; MS Outlook; MS Excel; MS PowerPoint; MS Access applications
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Farm/Ranch equipment of all kinds
- Experience with all types of Office Equipment/Machines
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Military Heavy Equipment Operator
- and so forth.
- Look under "Acceptable Substitutions" in the Qualifications Guidelines section of TPWD job posting you are interested in to see if there are any substitutions. If a BA/BS from accredited college/university is required, there may (or may not) be an "Acceptable Substitution" listed.
Experience is important. To gain experience, you may want to consider volunteering with TPWD; applying for Seasonal Positions and/or check our jobs website for temporary/part-time positions:
Phone: Joe Beach (512) 389-4485