Texas Game Warden
General Position Description
- provide testimony in court and administrative hearings;
- execute and serve all criminal processes resulting from enforcement activities;
- provide public safety and emergency management functions including working in response to natural disasters and in homeland security operations;
- safeguard departmental equipment;
- prepare reports of activities and present programs concerning department activities to the public;
- may conduct investigations of holders of permits and licenses issued by the department;
- maintain contact with landowners, resource users and the general public;
- assist other law enforcement agencies as needed.
Work Schedule: The applicant must be willing and able to: work state and federal holidays; work hours other than 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with days off other than Saturday and Sunday; are subject to call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Cadets may be required to work up to 171 hours in a 28-day work period.
Overtime Compensation: In accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, the department uses a system of compensatory time off in lieu of overtime payment, at a rate of 1.5 hours of compensatory time for every hour actually worked in excess of 171 hours in a 28 day work period.
- Hair for both male and female officers in uniform, must be of natural color and in length and style;
- No tattoos from the neck and above, to include any part of the head are allowed. Commissioned personnel shall not wear tattoos, if visible or exposed, that are of an offensive manner or nature, while in uniform.
Residence: Cadets will be required to live at the Game Warden Training Center near Hamilton, Texas, for the duration of the training period, approximately 30 weeks. All rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the Academy must be followed while in residence.
Pay and Advancement (as of 9/1/2014)
- Game Warden Cadet $3,280.50/month
- Game Warden I (Probationary) $3,583.94/month
- Game Warden I (1 year) $4,328.58/month
- Game Warden II (4 years) $5,278.00/month
- Game Warden III (8 years) $5,653.75/month
- Game Warden IV (12 years) $5,903.50/month
- Game Warden V (16 years) $6,176.25/month
- Game Warden VI (20 years) $6,328.91/month
- Stipend for education or certification: $50 - $150/month
- Stipend for second language: $50/month
Additional promotional opportunities within the Law Enforcement Division include Investigative Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Assistant Commander, Chief, Major, Lt. Colonel, and Colonel.