Texas Game Warden
Thank you for your interest in the career of Texas Game Warden.
Applications for the position of Game Warden Cadet are not being accepted for the remainder of the year 2015. The application timeline for 2016 has not been determined at this time. We will post a message on this website letting applicants know that we are now accepting applications when that time occurs.
General Position Description
After graduation from the Game Warden Training Center and receiving a commission as a State Peace Officer, the Game Warden will perform responsible field enforcement duties involving the enforcement of all provisions of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code, Texas Penal Code and relevant provisions of other Texas laws, including:
- provide testimony in court and administrative hearings;
- execute and serve all criminal processes resulting from enforcement activities;
- provide public safety and emergency management functions including working in response to natural disasters and in homeland security operations;
- safeguard departmental equipment;
- prepare reports of activities and present programs concerning department activities to the public;
- may conduct investigations of holders of permits and licenses issued by the department;
- maintain contact with landowners, resource users and the general public;
- assist other law enforcement agencies as needed.
Station Assignment: The applicant must be willing and able to accept assignment anywhere in the State of Texas upon graduation from academy training and commissioning as a Texas Game Warden. Assignments will be made where vacancies exist statewide and shall be made in the best interest of the department. Assignments will be made after the successful completion of the academy training period.
Work Schedule: The applicant must be willing and able to: work state and federal holidays; work hours other than 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with days off other than Saturday and Sunday; are subject to call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Cadets may be required to work up to 171 hours in a 28-day work period.
Overtime Compensation: In accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, the department uses a system of compensatory time off in lieu of overtime payment, at a rate of 1.5 hours of compensatory time for every hour actually worked in excess of 171 hours in a 28 day work period.
Work Environment: Cadets and Game Wardens work extensively out-of-doors, during inclement and sometimes hazardous weather conditions, during natural disasters and under other possibly dangerous conditions. At times, wardens and cadets are required to work in highly stressful situations that may be hazardous to their health and safety, which could include working with people who are injured, violent, emotionally upset or otherwise pose a danger.
Dress Code: Cadets and Game Wardens are required to wear a prescribed uniform and adhere to established dress and grooming standards. Uniforms include equipment such as firearms and other defensive equipment. Commissioned personnel on duty and in uniform will maintain a neat and clean appearance according to the Law Enforcement General Orders to include:
- Hair for both male and female officers in uniform, must be of natural color and in length and style;
- No tattoos from the neck and above, to include any part of the head are allowed. Commissioned personnel shall not wear tattoos, if visible or exposed, that are of an offensive manner or nature, while in uniform.
Residence: Cadets will be required to live at the Game Warden Training Center near Hamilton, Texas, for the duration of the training period, approximately 30 weeks. All rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the Academy must be followed while in residence.
Emolument: An emolument will be taken from cadets for food services while at the Game Warden Training Center.
Pay and Advancement (as of 9/1/2014)
All career ladder advancements are based on a combination of longevity, job knowledge, job performance and adherence to agency and division work rules. All salaries are subject to change without notice:
- Game Warden Cadet $3,280.50/month
- Game Warden I (Probationary) $3,583.94/month
- Game Warden I (1 year) $4,328.58/month
- Game Warden II (4 years) $5,278.00/month
- Game Warden III (8 years) $5,653.75/month
- Game Warden IV (12 years) $5,903.50/month
- Game Warden V (16 years) $6,176.25/month
- Game Warden VI (20 years) $6,328.91/month
- Stipend for education or certification: $50 - $150/month
- Stipend for second language: $50/month
Additional promotional opportunities within the Law Enforcement Division include Investigative Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Assistant Commander, Chief, Major, Lt. Colonel, and Colonel.